Welcome to the forums!

Tabs

Post your question here and an experienced guitar player or teacher will get back to you.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby Lucille » August 5th, 2012, 1:38 am

I'm refreshing my memory of the long ago gained skill of reading music. In my recent reading I discovered the concept of tabs. Is it OK to do both or do most stick with one or the other?
Lucille

Postby Crow » August 5th, 2012, 5:27 am

Standard notation can do things that tabs can't. I think it's good to know how to handle both standard notation & tablature, so it's not an either/or question, really.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa
Crow

Postby Hobson » August 5th, 2012, 9:06 am

A lot of guitarists don't read music and find tab easier to learn. If you already know how to read music, standard notation is by far the better way to go. As already mentioned, there is a lot more information in those dots and flags and lines than can be done with tab. Also, you will be able to pick up sheet music intended for another instrument and play it on guitar (with some modifications, of course). You will be able to look at a piano part and know what the chords are.

Tab has its place even for those who can read music. Now and then I'll look at the standard notation and wonder what fingerings are going to make something possible to play. The tab will tell me what was intended.
Renee
Hobson

Postby Alan Green » August 5th, 2012, 9:08 am

We've been talking about Tabs a lot lately. This is the most recent thread on the subject

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53324
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk
Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Postby Lucille » August 6th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Thanks for the link. I'm working on learning my way around :D
Lucille