Welcome to the forums!

please help I'm not sure how to get over this

Post your question here and an experienced guitar player or teacher will get back to you.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby PEAVEYUSA » May 4th, 2012, 8:58 am

He told you to only practice 20mins daily? I can mosh out on one solo for 20 minutes with the same scale running the whole fretboard. I don't think 20 mins is ample time to even warm up, let alone get a full practice session in. I took lessons way back in the day and like you I got frustrated and with college and what not I had to stop anyway. I just picked my guitars back up two years ago and started self teaching and I get better and better every day.

Like anything if you don't get better you get frustrated and stop. You can not get better at anything without practice. Guitar IMO takes atleast 2hrs a day. The better you get the more you want to learn the better you get in cycles.

My advice, don't try to learn one song, try to learn what makes a song, chords and scales and timing make a song. If you learn just one song, how are you gona know what you are doing wrong, besides , different folks will play that one song you are learning a total different way than you are playing it. I have found that like anything, guitar requires learning at your own pace and your own style. Don't try to copy don't get in a hurry, just relax and do it. Don't think to much about it.

You should maybe start to self learn, start with blues minor pentatonic scalesl. They are easy and once you have the minors you can see how the majors of that scale relate, then move to modial scales. Do alot of reading, do alot of practicing, do alot of reading. Once you learn one scale ONE note not many; go to youtube and get some backing tracks and start soloing with that backing track.

Learn an A minor pentatonic then look up aminor backing tracks, You'd be shock at what you've taught yourself with some practice and paitence.

Am I a pro, hell no, can many out play me here, oh hells yes. Do I amaze myself, often. Do I have stuff to learn, YES. Does my wife hate my guitars. O YEA lol

Take your time practice, and read and learn and PLAY BABY!
PEAVEYUSA

Postby Alan Green » May 4th, 2012, 11:37 am

PEAVYUSA wrote:
Am I a pro, hell no, can many out play me here, oh hells yes. Do I amaze myself, often. Do I have stuff to learn, YES. Does my wife hate my guitars. O YEA lol

Take your time practice, and read and learn and PLAY BABY!

I like this way of thinking. Strangely enough, though, my girlfriend is my biggest fan - far from hating my guitars she's right there "bigging me up."
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk
Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Postby Cat » May 5th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Yeah...my live-in groupie has now given me heaps of lattitude with my other love: six strings stretched over a bit of wood.

Cat
"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"
Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby BluesManTom » July 2nd, 2012, 6:56 pm

Ditch him! There's a world of difference between guitar players who think they can earn a few extra bucks by teaching on the side and actual real, quality guitar teachers. Everything you've said about this guy stinks of the former. Shop around a bit and try some other tutors. Back when I was a kid, I had to go through 4 different teachers before I found my ideal guy.
BluesManTom

Previous