Welcome to the forums!

Fender Strat Tremolo height?

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby jakekiley » April 3rd, 2010, 3:28 pm

So I changed the Strings for the 1st time on my Fender Players Deluxe strat guitar and noticed the Tremolo was raised up. I'm not sure if it came this way or if it is a result of changing the strings, but it just didn't look right.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
jakekiley

Postby Blue Jay » April 3rd, 2010, 6:05 pm

You may have put mediums or 10 - 46's on there, when it was set for lighter 9 - 42's. Nice guitar and pics BTW.

Thus your string change pulled the tail of the bridge up. Loosen strings and tighten claw screws behind the rear cover.

This is one set up that I am happy with - it is lightly floating, you could get a cardboard drink coaster or a penny under it.

Fender's spec is a 1/8" gap at the end of the bridge. My highest tail end is the height of 3 pennies, under the plate itself.
Each penny is 1/16", I got 3/16" or 150% of the 1/8" therefore between the rear of the bridge and the body, high enough.

Here is Fender's how to set up a Strat. Good luck. :D

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocas ... _guide.php
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby Ande » April 22nd, 2010, 12:23 am

+1

Looks like you've changed to strings that require a slightly heavier tension, either higher gauge or just a little stronger. And when you tuned up after changing, they just pull the trem right up. Open the backplate, and you can adjust the trem screws to pull it back down, just as Bluejay says.

Exactly how high/low you want it depends on you- I always put strat style trems flat to the body, no matter what fender says...but that's just me....

Best,
Ande
Ande

Postby TRGuitar » April 22nd, 2010, 6:57 am

Blue Jay wrote:You may have put mediums or 10 - 46's on there, when it was set for lighter 9 - 42's. Nice guitar and pics BTW.

Thus your string change pulled the tail of the bridge up. Loosen strings and tighten claw screws behind the rear cover.

This is one set up that I am happy with - it is lightly floating, you could get a cardboard drink coaster or a penny under it.

Fender's spec is a 1/8" gap at the end of the bridge. My highest tail end is the height of 3 pennies, under the plate itself.
Each penny is 1/16", I got 3/16" or 150% of the 1/8" therefore between the rear of the bridge and the body, high enough.

Here is Fender's how to set up a Strat. Good luck. :D

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocas ... _guide.php

Now are we talking Canadian pennies here? :P
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --
TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Blue Jay » April 22nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

Excellent question! 8) I kinda took pics and measured the cents for an American situation? :lol:

And on a serious note, since it is my highest bridge, it was harder to intonate, and I do intonate them, can't sacrifice that. The higher the tail end, the further the 6th E saddle must come back. But I try not to run out of room, which is a frequent topic. :roll: The left or treble side claw screw is in further, assymetrical due to less string pull on the bottom. :shock:

The height of each saddle's hex screws shows the approximation of following the radius. It's pretty hard to get a low 6th E string but I like low action. Anybody with forensic vision can see a slightly higher G string, I like to bend 'em like crazy!

I've been at it for too long, but many thanks to Grant MacNeill, pro co-owner of the 12th Fret, for showing me his setup in 45 minutes flat. According to this, his repairmen have over 100 years experience, and charge $50 more than my kids?

http://www.12fret.com/shop/index.html

Gotta love those 3 barrel Teles! Now I see why they charge $85! :shock:

Soooo if Grant does Keef's 5-string for that price, what'll I charge?

Any takers for 3 strings only, or how about a 3 Strat package deal.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Like a bird on the wire,
Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby Blue Jay » June 1st, 2010, 6:38 am

jakekiley wrote:So I changed the Strings for the 1st time on my Fender Players Deluxe strat guitar and noticed the Tremolo was raised up. I'm not sure if it came this way or if it is a result of changing the strings, but it just didn't look right.

Like a bird on the wire,
Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby Blue Jay » June 1st, 2010, 6:38 am

jakekiley wrote:So I changed the Strings for the 1st time on my Fender Players Deluxe strat guitar and noticed the Tremolo was raised up. I'm not sure if it came this way or if it is a result of changing the strings, but it just didn't look right.

Did you get it fixed, bud? Hope it is okay now. And TR - alot has happened, eh? New guitar and Cat Scratch Fever?

Sorry for double post - not that it matters - hit submit before it was done. I wonder if our 1-poster is still here? :wink:
Like a bird on the wire,
Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen