Welcome to the forums!

Rocky Mountain Wayward

Here is a forum for everything between the guitar (here) and the amp (there). If you want to know about cables, effects pedals, multieffects, noisegates, line drivers, phasers, distortion post your questions in here.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby Laz » April 5th, 2010, 8:44 am

We're looking to add this song to our blues list, and I was wondering what combination of EFX would be best to simulate the vocoder sound, without the vocoder. Some combination of distortion, flanger, auto-wah, chorus...? Or we could just have our drummer "sing" it...
Laz
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby gnease » April 5th, 2010, 9:03 am

some autowah (envelope follower) pedals will do this. my Digitech autowah has a vocal setting. the adjustments change the filtering for the two extremes, creating two different vowel sounds.
-=tension & release=-
gnease
Musically Insane

Postby Ricochet » April 5th, 2010, 4:58 pm

The original used a talk box.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
Ricochet
Guitari Lama

Postby gnease » April 6th, 2010, 4:22 am

even tho he wrote vocoder, I'm guessing he meant talk box -- which can be a real PITA to set up and use well.
-=tension & release=-
gnease
Musically Insane

Postby Laz » April 6th, 2010, 6:04 am

gnease wrote:even tho he wrote vocoder, I'm guessing he meant talk box -- which can be a real PITA to set up and use well.

Once again I mis-use a term, though I think I was repeating someone else's error. According to Wiki, a vocoder is a system where voice input is converted to other electrical signals (amplitude and phase) using an envelope follower and other circuits, transmitted, and then re-formed as a voice output. As I see it, a talk box does the second part, attempting to re-create a voice using the guitar for frequency and tone, and the singer's mouth for "shape".

In any case, I was looking for a way to get my guitarist to sound like Joe Walsh (or Peter Frampton), without any hoses. We'll see if his pedal board has the right combination of toys.
Laz
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Moonrider » April 6th, 2010, 6:14 am

Laz wrote:We're looking to add this song to our blues list, and I was wondering what combination of EFX would be best to simulate the vocoder sound, without the vocoder. Some combination of distortion, flanger, auto-wah, chorus...? Or we could just have our drummer "sing" it...

I never worried about it. Just crank up the gain, bend 'em tight and let 'em scream.
Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation
Moonrider
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby gnease » April 6th, 2010, 6:33 am

a talk box is more akin to an artificial larynx. the wet 'n' sticky parts are the filter instead of the modulating signal source.

but anyway ... auto-wah aside, I get the most manual articulation with whammy bar and a plain ole wahwahwah pedal on edge of crunchy OD, so the sound goes from cleanish to a bit raunchy with playing dynamics. requires more work than an auto-wah, but with some practice, it's possible to get some very interesting human-to-animal sounds. Joe Walsh is somewhere on that continuum.
-=tension & release=-
gnease
Musically Insane