yeah, I remember disco....unfortunately. I blame the Bee gees. ***Shudders***
Never mind. The week 13 assignment has taught me a thing or two.....
1) I think I can hold my own playing rhythm guitar. The song may have had only one chord for the verses, but it took just one take to nail it....with all the variations in the chorus.
2) I think my timing's pretty good. A definite plus point. Played to a pre-selected drum track, it took just one take - as stated above - for the rhythm guitar. That's the acoustic. Took just one take for the electric rhythm guitar as well.
3) Singing's still a weak point. Took about four takes to get a vocal track I was reasonably happy with.
4) Lead guitar's a definite weak point. Tried about 7-8 times to add a solo....got nowhere. Funny thing is, I can knock a decent solo out no trouble when the record button's not pressed in.....
5) I don't mind the actual grind of recording. Time flies - I spent about three hours on this tonight and ended up adding an electric guitar rhythm track to the acoustic track and drum track I'd recorded a few days ago.
I still need to overdub bass and lead guitars - I will get them right eventually, but it's doing my head in that I can't get them right first time.
So, to sum up - I think I'm a pretty decent rhythm guitarist. I reckon I can write a decent tune every now and then - but hell, the rest of it doesn't half need some work! I think I've got the single most important thing for a rhythm guitarist - and that's rhythm. Well, timing....but there's a LOT of things I need to put some hard work in on.
Good job I'm not scared of work - at least not as a guitarist!
And I WILL get this song finished (bass & lead) in the next few days.....
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)