Welcome to the forums!

Loopers unite!

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.

Moderators: Nick, The GN support team

Postby TwistedLefty » March 11th, 2007, 7:43 pm

I'm now armed with 6.5 hrs of loopy madness!
Bought a 2GB compact flash card today for my JamMan at Micro Center for $19.99 while supplies last, at a Micro Center near you!
edit----
sheesh where does the time go?
hope some where able to get in on this sale, but they are probably cheaper now lol
Last edited by TwistedLefty on March 17th, 2008, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby cnev » March 12th, 2007, 4:46 am

Twisted,

Not sure how long you've had your Jamman but I think I will be buying one soon. I have been y=talking to KingP about some of the features as he uses one and loves it.

The two things I'll mostly use it for is laying down a rhythm track to jam over and recording songs that I can practice solo sections. The second one is probably what I will use it more for. According to King it's a little bit of a pain because you have to convert the files to Mp3 and then save them onto the memory card. Have you done something like this? what is your experience with it? Easy or is it a pain. I know if it's going to take hours to do the conversion/copy etc., I won't like it.
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby TwistedLefty » March 12th, 2007, 6:07 am

I was very pleased to see that KP was a JamMan user and had good things to say about the product.
as i am able i will continue to add my revues and discoveries, unfortunatly i have very limited time to learn the ins and outs of it's capabilities.
most of my time with it has been spent just getting to know the controls and how they work related to what i want it to do for me at the time. (usually just noodleing against the backing tracks provided)

as far as audio conversion, cd ripping etc i highly recommend db poweramp. it's a great program and very quick and easy to use http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby cnev » March 12th, 2007, 7:15 am

Thanks I'll be anxious to hear your review
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby TwistedLefty » March 20th, 2007, 4:29 am

well i received my new Motherboard and it turned out to be a lemon, so i had to send it back. i should be getting the replacement sometime this week.
This old P3 i'm posting with just doesn't have the cajones' to do all the stuff i want so i've been limited to just messing with
the JamMans' various preprogrammed drum/bass loops and so far it's been a real blast.

when i get my Main rig up and running again i plan to review each function one at a time.
the Yahoo JamMan disscussion Group has been a good source of info
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/jamman/ as well as other various hits i've made searching google.

maybe it would be a good idea to compile a list of the ones i've read so far...
TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby TwistedLefty » April 26th, 2007, 7:18 am

New Mobo #2 installed, new 3GB pentium D 925, installed and running without a problem for several days now.
Now i have to set up my studio again from scratch and start learning how to make this all work together.
TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby TwistedLefty » March 17th, 2008, 7:57 am

here we are a year+ later and i'm finally getting the home studio up and running.

my new PC is giving me fits however, as there seems to be a driver issue that keeps giving me the BSoD.
i think it's related to the built in ethernet card so i'm looking to bypass that and should be up and running some recordings before long.
i've recently scored an Echoplex Digital Pro w/footpedal from musicians friend ,so much of my looping experiments will be based on that unit.
i have some theorys about syncing the JamMan with it to create a stereo signal but that will be down the road a bit.
#4491....
TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Hyperborea » March 17th, 2008, 12:43 pm

I've got a JamMan and have been using it now for the last year and a half or so for practicing at home. I've also got a 2GB flash card as a "hand-me-down" from my old digital camera (new one uses SD cards).

I'm beginning to work with a laptop based setup for more versatility. I'm using a:
    • Macbook Pro (my old work laptop at home for work related stuff but when not working...)
    • Presonus Firebox
    • Behringer FCB1010 Midi pedal board
    • Logic Express

With this I can directly use any of the loops that I have access to or software instruments to build backing tracks. I'm setting up the FCB to control Logic to start/stop recording or playback, switch loops, change tempo, change volume, etc.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the JamMan after I get this all set up and working. It's nowhere near as flexible but it is a lot more portable. However, right now and for the foreseeable future I'll just be using the looper at home as a practice tool. The Macbook setup is also a decent lightweight recording studio.
Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson
Hyperborea

Postby TwistedLefty » March 17th, 2008, 5:49 pm

sounds like a good setup to me.
i just need to get this darn device driver problem figured out. constantly rebooting is getting old.

here's some funnay from the loopers delight mailing list
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/03/ ... f-looping/
#4491....
TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby TwistedLefty » September 10th, 2008, 6:00 am

sorry i have not updated this thread sooner.
i am still wrestling with my pc in what little spare time i have.

my last attempt to solve the BSoD problem by replacing and upgrading the memory did not work.
however after doing this the stop error code changed in a few of the crashes to a code that MS could actually suggest a solution for.

so on the recommendation of MS i am replacing my HDs with one larger new HD.

hopefully, this will once and for all solve my recording problem and i will be able to get on with the looper thread soon as i am expecting delivery in the next few days.
#4491....
TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Ignar Hillström » September 10th, 2008, 1:16 pm

Hyperborea wrote:I'm beginning to work with a laptop based setup for more versatility. I'm using a:
    • Macbook Pro (my old work laptop at home for work related stuff but when not working...)
    • Presonus Firebox
    • Behringer FCB1010 Midi pedal board
    • Logic Express

Hey man, do yourself a favor and give Revalver a try: http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/downloads.html

The demo is pretty much the full version minus the save-preset option and a one-second hiss every now and then. Since Revalver and Waves GTR3 I haven't touched my amps or GT8 at all, and your Behinger floorboard would be the perfect controller for it. :D
Click here for FREE, limited one-time only offer!
Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Previous