Welcome to the forums!

Acoustic Blues in A

Are you looking for someone to jam? Do you have AIM or MSN or YIM? Would you like to collaborate online? Are you just looking for something to do with the microphone attached to your PC? Post here.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby dhodge » October 11th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Thanks John

I may be able to get the backing track from one of my students before the weekend. If that's the case, I may be dropping off my track with you Tuesday when I come up your way to teach at the Berkshire Music School. I'll PM or call to let you know.

Is it better to hear everyone else's tracks first so I don't unintentionally make mine too much like someone else's? Or should one just go with what one feels?

Thanks to everyone for their patience with this. What's the saying about learning something new every day? :wink:

Oh, someone mentioned that any instrument, meaning electric or acoustic is okay. What about multiple instruments, if one is so inclined?

Peace
dhodge
Musically Insane

Postby Dan T. » October 11th, 2006, 6:18 pm

David,

The only person who generally hears the tracks before the final mix is the person who is hosting. Just go with what you feel, and if you want to do multiple instruments, have at it. 8)

Dan
"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge
Dan T.
Musically Insane

Postby Kalle_in_Sweden » October 11th, 2006, 9:34 pm

vink wrote:Looks like there's lot of pent up demand .... we need more backing track creators. I wish I could do them, but the best I can do is a drum track and some barely passable rhythm guitar :-(

I found a guy is putting up new free backing tracks here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=439876

And I have downloaded many of the .mp3 backing tracks from the now closed russian site.
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
Kalle_in_Sweden

Postby Bish » October 11th, 2006, 10:13 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I just finished my part. I have to hone a few rough spots but plan on being able to send it in this weekend. I had nothing yesterday. What a relief.... :D
Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"
Bish
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Dan T. » October 12th, 2006, 3:33 am

bish wrote::twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I just finished my part. I have to hone a few rough spots but plan on being able to send it in this weekend. I had nothing yesterday. What a relief.... :D

Ok speedy! :P

Kalle_in_Sweden wrote:I found a guy is putting up new free backing tracks here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=439876

And I have downloaded many of the .mp3 backing tracks from the now closed russian site.

Thanks Kalle! :wink:
Maybe you should think about hosting a jam?

Dan
"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge
Dan T.
Musically Insane

Postby vink » October 12th, 2006, 9:00 am

Kalle wrote:I found a guy is putting up new free backing tracks here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=439876

Thanks, Kalle! I sent him an email asking if he would be ok with using his backing tracks for some online jams. If he says yes, I will see if I can host one..

(I didn't realize that the russian site had backing tracks..oh, well).
--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller
vink

Postby vink » October 12th, 2006, 10:35 am

dhodge wrote:I can't record onto the computer ..
Peace

Hi David, I am stating the obvious, but if you have any kind of sound card on your PC, you should be able to record from that into your Yamaha workstation .. just take the line out from the sound card.
--vink
vink

Postby Kalle_in_Sweden » October 13th, 2006, 7:20 am

"Thanks Kalle! Wink
Dan"

Yes Dan, that would be fun and I think I have all neccesary SW & HW and the knowledge to do that.
I will check through my B tracks and come up with a song.

"Hi David, I am stating the obvious, but if you have any kind of sound card on your PC, you should be able to record from that into your Yamaha workstation .. just take the line out from the sound card."

I agree , even the most basic modern PC has a soundcard that should be able to use for basic recordings and playback!
You don´t need a soundcard with 24 bit/ 96 kHz recording capability, 16 bit / 44.1 kHz ( CD-quality) will do fine and that recording capacity have most soundcards today.
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
Kalle_in_Sweden

Postby Dan T. » October 13th, 2006, 7:26 am

Kalle_in_Sweden wrote:"Thanks Kalle! Wink
Dan"

Yes Dan, that would be fun and I think I have all neccesary SW & HW and the knowledge to do that.
I will check through my B tracks and come up with a song.

That would be great Kalle! 8)

Dan
Dan T.
Musically Insane

Postby geoo » October 13th, 2006, 8:47 am

Kalle_in_Sweden wrote:I agree , even the most basic modern PC has a soundcard that should be able to use for basic recordings and playback!
You don´t need a soundcard with 24 bit/ 96 kHz recording capability, 16 bit / 44.1 kHz ( CD-quality) will do fine and that recording capacity have most soundcards today.

I cringe to answer for someone else but I believe I remember David saying that the problem has to do with his internet connection being very slow. Thus the need to record to a CD and snail mail it to someone.

But I could be, and usually am, very wrong.

Jim
“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)
geoo
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby dhodge » October 13th, 2006, 10:56 am

It's pretty much as Geoo says, I can't get the backing track from the Internet to a place where I can do the recording. I'm not a computer whiz to start with, my computer is really pretty old (as far as computers go - we're talking the very early 1990s) and where I live we have dial up and it's very slow. In order to simply hear the backing track, for example, I need to let it go through the buffering process and that, last time I checked for this song, was close to an hour.

But I think I've got the track from a student who has what passes for "high speed" around here (he lives two towns away) and I should be able to handle my end.

Which leads to a new question - when I (or someone else) sends my track in, do you need it to be for the whole 5:02 of the backing track or simply my section (4:04 and on)?

Sorry to be such a disaster at this! :wink:

Peace
dhodge
Musically Insane

Postby vink » October 13th, 2006, 12:06 pm

David,

In that case, if you ever want to listen to a track, might as well download it because when you listen to it, it is actually downloading it, just not saving it on your disk. (BTW, if you can listen to it, then you you should be able to record that into your workstation, since that means you have a working soundcard :-))

Also for sending the track in, SmokingDog has a sticky at the beginning of this forum on what you need to send, you can look at that. In a nutshell: Two files: one with just your track for your portion, another of your portion with a couple of seconds of the backing track in the beginning so that your solo track can be aligned with the backing track. The track with a segment of the backing track can be in low resolution.

Hope this help .. it is actully a great pleasure to be able to help you on anything, since your lessons are tremendously helpful to all of us! :-)
--vink
vink

Postby dhodge » October 13th, 2006, 12:19 pm

That helps a lot, Vink. My thanks for that.

I'm hoping to one day invest in some good equipment, computer-wise, but I also have to admit that I have a hard time sitting down at the computer with a guitar. I like the feel of the stand-alone (reminds me of my old cassette Fostex) and I think the Yamaha can pretty much do everything I need it to, but at some point I do need to get more savvy about the PC.

Part of the problem, I'm sure, is the fact that I prefer messing with the guitar than messing with the computer (or even the recording station) :wink: I'll try and see what I need to run a line out from my computer to the workstation.

Once again, and always, I appreciate all the help and patience from everyone.

Now I hope I can make sure it's worth everyone's while...

Peace
dhodge
Musically Insane

Postby vink » October 13th, 2006, 12:38 pm

dhodge wrote:I'll try and see what I need to run a line out from my computer to the workstation.
Peace

All you should need are the following: a stereo mini-plug to stereo 1/4" adapter (may come with a headphone if your headphone had 1/4 inch plugs, although most often the headphones come with a min-plug and an adapter to make it 1/4"). and a 1/4" stereo cable. Both of these can be had at either your neighborhood guitar store or radio shack for a total of about $10. The sound card should typically have three I/Os. A line in, a line out and a mic in. On some computers they are color coded, on others they have little pictures with arrows pointing in or out. The painful part is moving the computer away from the way to get at the back, getting the flashlight, peering at the little pictures etc :-)

(Bythe way, although I sit at and work at a computer terminal allmost all day, I empathize with your statement about messing around with the computer. If I go sit at the computer, I spend way more time playing with the settings on the software etc, rather than playing the guitar. So I've gotten myself a cheap 4-track recorder off ebay to use for making practice recordings rather that use the computer..)
--vink
vink

Postby Taso » October 13th, 2006, 12:43 pm

David, I do all of my recordings with a 10 dollar standard computer mic bought from radioshack and the program Audacity...Really simple stuff, but it sounds great.
Taso
Guitarnoise Addict

PreviousNext