Welcome to the forums!

My 3rd gig tonight New Year's Ever 2004!

Read about the latest happenings of our site! If you have an upcoming gig or jam, post it here.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby corbind » December 31st, 2004, 12:10 pm

We're having another gig tonight (my third time ever)! It's just playing in a basement of a decent house party but I'll take anything I can get. Last time we gigged was outdoors in September and it was an absolute blast even though we were missing our main singer/guitarist.

Well, this time, he's gonna make the gig but our 3rd guitarist won't so we're back down to two guitars again. I've had to switch some parts I do and do stuff I normally don't do so we'll see how it goes. Further, the bass player and I have a surprise song that nobody else in the band knows about and we're gonna do it together. Yep, just bass and my guitar. Maybe we'll tell the drummer just before we start the song because I was told he used to practice that song years back. Hope I don't screw it up! I've NEVER played a song live without another guitarist. Yikes!

We go on in 7 hours so I guess I'll get some stuff done like review the songs and get my stuff packed up. I'll let know you know the gory details later when I get back from this New Year's Eve booze-fest. . .

:roll:
"Do I want this badly enough that I'm going to put in the effort, to do the work required to make it happen? If I want it, I won't count on magic or fate...I'll make it happen." (David Hodge 1/1/11)
corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Nick » December 31st, 2004, 12:42 pm

Break a leg Dennis, you'll do a great job.
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare
Nick
Administrator

Postby corbind » January 1st, 2005, 1:21 pm

Oh I have some tales to tell! I just got home from the gig about an hour ago. I don't even know where to begin. But I'll start by saying I ended up going to bed at 8am which is insane. I'm still pretty (uh REALLY) tired for lack of proper sleep so I'll post when I get some rest. I'm smiling ear-to-ear!

:D
"Do I want this badly enough that I'm going to put in the effort, to do the work required to make it happen? If I want it, I won't count on magic or fate...I'll make it happen." (David Hodge 1/1/11)
corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Taso » January 1st, 2005, 10:11 pm

Can't wait to hear about this bud.
Taso
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby TwistedFingers » January 2nd, 2005, 5:22 pm

sleep schmeep! Come on man we're dying to hear how it went. :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"
TwistedFingers
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby corbind » January 2nd, 2005, 9:41 pm

Well, I just typed 2 pages about the gig over the past hour or so but it's not finished so I'll tell the tale a bit later. I want to get many of the details in so the saga continues....

Plus I just changed stings tonght so I have to pound on them a bit before bed to acclimate them so I'll mess with them for the next hour and to bed....
corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby EvilSpudBoy » January 6th, 2005, 10:07 am

Just to let you know I'm still in suspense, I really like your posts about your gigs. So don't keep us waiting too long.
Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV
EvilSpudBoy

Postby corbind » January 6th, 2005, 8:53 pm

Okay, now that I lounged around the house watching TV for 12 hours today (a rarity), I'm rested to tell the tale.

The gig was a house party for New Year's Eve. I got a call from the bass player to help set up the stuff like the drums, PA, mikes, etc. so I got there at 4:30pm. We had everything in the basement by about 5:30pm and the drummer had to “make his space.” We talked with the owner of the house about how we'd like to rearrange by moving a bunch of stuff to make it more dance-friendly which entailed moving a couple of couches and various stuff. There was a massive bar down there that flanked our setup so that we had to deal with that. The space was probably about 25' x 35' which is not huge but doable.

Finally I got to set my equipment up after the drummer and bass player laid claim to their spots. I set up at the far left (from the audience view point) and put my amp on a stool. The left PA was just next to my amp so I hear the vocals very clear. On the right side of the drummer was the bass player who put his amp up on top of the PA speaker. I generally play at practice right next to the bass player so we can talk and signal one another. Oh well. I was worried about that.

So we started the sound check about 5:45pm and played bits of some songs and asked how it sounded to people who were already there. Funny, the house owner got a call while we were doing the sound check and the person on the line said, “That sounds good. They're playing some nice “Hound Dog!” or something to that effect. Made us happy.

The Jim, the bass player, and I had practiced a song at his house a song that we wanted to do without Frank (the main guitarist) and apprised Joe, the drummer, of the song at sound check. Apparently Joe and Jim used to do Blister in the Sun as a warm up song at practice ten years ago so Joe remembered it okay and we played it a few times to get it down yet I had to tell Joe to drum faster and he was like “Really?” Been awhile for him. But it sounded good at sound check. I felt decent as I left.

Anyway, I went home to get a shower and tweak my stuff in my music book. I got back to the party at 8:15 and Frank was there (remember, the main guitar player and leader of the band) and was tuned and ready to go. Joe and Jim showed up about 8:45 and wanted to go on at 9pm as we had planned. I talked to them about going on about 9:40 because I wanted the crowd to be bigger.

The set list was made in the time before we went on and I had it right on my music stand off to the right for reference. We started with a slow song (to get the fingers moving), a medium song next and a JAM song the 3rd song. After that one my right hand was shaking a bit from the adrenaline as I reached for my beer. It sounded good. We played a few more and then the set list went to h*ll. Frank was changing things left and right. We got a request for Louie Louie which we planed to do in the third set but ended up playing it as like the 6th song. I told the bass player not yet but we did it anyway. He said we gotta do request when they come up. I don't know. It's my third gig. I rolled with it….

My buddy Tom and John were there so we talked briefly between songs and I asked if I was too loud and whatnot. They're metal heads and don't' dig just regular rock and roll so it's tough pleasing them. But at least they said they liked my sound so that was decent. My amp was naturally overdriving (even on the clean channel) which was a bit odd on the “sweet/slow” songs. I put light overdrive on most of the other songs with my overdrive channel and it seemed to work. It's a first for me in that I seldom use the overdrive channel on the Fender amp.

Frank told me I was too loud a few times and too soft a few more so it's tough to gauge. Jim was 15' away and told me to turn up because he could only hear Frank. It's a common thing when Jim is not next to me.

I laugh that Jim was so apprehensive before the show. Usually is me freaking out trying to mellow. I always down some Pepto Bismol a few hours before the show to calm my stomach then have a beer before we start. Jim normally has a few quick beers before playing in practice but that night he drank water the first set and I saw his really pensive self. I talked to him about the show and he said he wanted to make sure he remembered all the words while singing, which was unlike his normal self. He mellowed by the second set and had a few beers.

All in all, I did mess up some stuff and I knew generally when I did but I did not dwell on them because I was told not to while playing a gig. “Smile and pretend you meant to do it” is what Jim has always told me. I heard Frank play some things off and Jim's face told it all, too. Still, we had people dancing right up in front and singing along with many of our songs and that means happiness. I'm not one to normally look up from my guitar until I've located then next chord especially if I'm doing barre chords. Still, on some songs I played open and was really familiar with the song so I got to look out into the crowd. That's some of the best excitement. That is, looking out at the people and seeing smiles and happiness. Well, and at NYE, maybe drunken stupor. Who knows?

We have a following of maybe 20 people who attend each show no matter what. It's good for me to see those who encourage us and would love us if we tanked. Funny Joe (another Joe, we played his outdoor skateboard rink in September) was there. He pulled a fast one on the drummer and me. He said something like, “I got free tickets to a band from a radio station and I have front row.” I said cool man, what band? He said “No Trace” which is us! I know it's corny, but I appreciate he likes us personally and our music.

Grab coffee: break 1 for you readers

Okay, so we played 3 sets. From about 9:40 to 10:30 and about 10:45 to 11:55 which cut really close to the NYE thing. Things were going well. The people were dancing even to songs we never thought they'd like.

During “Last Dance with Mary Jane” (Petty) Frank's guitar strap unhooked and he almost lost his guitar. I was looking over and, knowing I'm the only guitarist, kept going and thinking, “Oh please let me keep this going.” It took him about 15 seconds (which seemed like eternity) to get it hooked back on while we all kept playing. He kept singing right on so it worked out! Just a funny visual in my mind and I joked with him about it at practice this past Tuesday.

Sorry I'm not going in order, but I'm just reminiscing about it all. The drummer had some trouble at home. His wife and kid had been up for two days sick and he may have had to skip the third set. He was not his usual lively self looking out into the crowd and having fun. Rather, he often was looking down at his drums and it kind bummed me out. Nevertheless, Frank seemed really lively that night and was even dancin' a bit on some songs while he played and hopping about. That made me smile lots.

Jim looked over at me often smiling about what I don't know. Well, I do now. Frank skipped some parts of a couple of his songs and he always seems to do that even at practice. I never know what he's going to do on those songs so I just listen to all of us to hear if we're going to the next part. Sounds weird, but it works.

Set one was over and we all took a break. A quick cigarette with Jim to see if he's mellowed out and he was. Finally he drank a beer. I got to talk with some of the people in the crowd about various things. It was cool.

Well, just before the second set Frank was still outside smoking and the 3 of us were all downstairs about ready to go. Jim says let's play Blister in the Sun (the song he and I wanted to do without Frank) but Frank just got downstairs still with his coat on. Jim told him we were going to play a song without him and it pissed him off. Jim said let's do it now but I had to, uh, expel some liquid to make it through the upcoming set but Jim said now and then we'll go straight into the second set.

Being the new-guy-on-the-block, I had to do it. We played it and it sounded pretty good! People even grooved with it. Lord knows I didn't know anyone would know such an obscure song. At practice Tuesday even Frank (who did not play with us) said it sounded good so that's an amazing compliment. Granted, it's a way-simple song. But the first time live. Yea.

Yep, now into the real second set. We were all over the place. The set list went out the window and I had to use my left ear to hear Frank and Jim hash out what we'd do next. When I'd hear what song I'd flip to the right page on my music stand on the right and set the patch on my floorboard. It was chaotic (in my mind) from then on. I like a set list. You know what you're doing. Oh well. I'm learning.
We had some decent songs and got some compliments/comments in between songs. The mistake was made to play two more songs past 11:45pm. It's NYE. So we played ‘em and it was like 5 to midnight and everyone was getting ready to ring in the New Year. At the end of the set I got my pre-planned hat out. It's a 2' tall Cat in the Hat. I put that puppy on and walked upstairs. It' was kind a joke but if you can't have fun on NYE you should be an accountant! Lots of people saw the humor in my hat as we all celebrated and hugged about the New Year.

It was so fun I kept it on for the first song of the third set. Jim got a kick out of that. I told him I'd be wearing two hats at the show. He was smiling. I had to take it off (as I knew I would) because I get to hot while playing. Heck, I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt! But I always wear that during practice or gigs any time of year. I get too hot.

So we start the third set about 12:30 or so. Oh, I take my watch off when I play guitar so I don't always have it handy to tell the time. I can't play with a watch or rings on. Weird. Fortunately Joe made it back for the third set. I was worried he wouldn't and we' have to play without drums. Still, he had his head down most of that set just thinking about his kid and wife sick, tired, and (presumably) agitated.

By then we, and the crowd, were having a great time. Pete at 60-something-year-old retired guy was there sure to fill your beer from the pitcher. We joke he's the band manager because he used to attend all the practices (before I joined and I attended, too). He's the COOLEST guy. Makes the party for sure. He made all of us feel at home.

So we rock out some more tunes and finally about 1:30 (I figure) Jim says it's last song. We do it and (as usual) I don't want to stop. I never do. Especially at a NYE party. So we had all planned to leave our equipment (drums, mikes, amps, everything) there at the party and just pack up the next day. Who wants to tear down that late on NYE?

So the guys just mingle and float about. Frank (who lives 32 miles north of us) had to pack up because he had a gig the next day. So he was about to start packing up maybe 1:40pm but I said, “Let's play!” So just he and I played. He chose a song we don't do as a band. An Eagles song called Lyin' Eyes. I've only practiced that with him maybe 4 times in half a year but it went over. We had a bunch of the girls come up and sing along in another mike. It was cool. We were having fun and, hey, if the ladies are having fun, I am too!

After that Tom (from the crowd) asked if he could play drums on Holly's Not Fade Away. I said sure and we had no drummer so why not? Frank and I had not tired that together for a year or so and I know I messed parts up. People said it sounded good but I know I made plenty of mistakes. But the girls liked it. Tom put down better drums than I would have thought for a non-drummer.

Break 2 for readers

Guess that was it. Frank had to pack up. He started by clearing his amp and guitar. Meanwhile, four blondes came around to his mike and were flipping through his music book. They started singing John Denver's Leavin' on a Jet Plane his music stand (with the lyrics in it). Frank cut them off after a few bars and said he had to get his book and stand. I moved mine over to center “stage” and they continued from my book.

I'm not really familiar with the song because I've only played it maybe twice so I (maybe a bad idea) tried to play it. I was reading it from a distance so that was hard but worse; I didn't know the song in my head. If I remember right, he does a lot of songs in drop-D tuning so you have to stretch to get a G chord in a funky shape.

Anyway, I winged it but we restarted the song like four times! We tried a few more songs until about 2:30 and called it. The girls were done so I had to hang it up. I hate to quit playing even if I suck. So many of us went upstairs and about ten minutes. I talked to a guy earlier who said he had played guitar and bass in a band that played big clubs in Chicago year's back. So I went back downstairs and offered him my guitar and he had a bit of fun.

Meanwhile, Joe (not the drummer, the proprietor of our second gig) said he used to play drums. He got on the kit and started jammin. Sounded decent for a guy (who I thought) was feeling a-ok earlier in the night. Eventually I got my guitar back and messed with some stuff. Finally the crowd was, well, not a crowd. It was late and sane people would go home to cozy beds. All I knew is I did not plan to drive home no matter what even before the gig so I was content with whatever went down.

There were some kids (I can call them that now that I'm 36) around all night. They were not downstairs but here and there but they were still awake and full of energy. I saw them bouncing about even during sound check and helping move the couches and things. Well, that late at night, I figured these teenagers would be sleeping. Nope, guys and girls that young still up sober as can be. They came down in the basement and one guy said he knows drums so I said, “Go ahead and give it a whirl.” Sounded decent.

Another guy was looking at my guitar and amp and I asked if he played and he did. So, the typed I am, told him to pick it up and have fun. He played pretty well. Still, I have no idea what type of music it was. Well the kids played for a while and about 4am the house owner who we affectionately call “The Governor,” came downstairs and said its time to quit.

So I guess they stayed downstairs but I went upstairs and hung out. We played a bit of poker after I took my paltry $4 out of my wallet. Yep, that's all I had in my wallet all week. We played for a while and I don't know the game well and lost it (or really) just gave up after awhile. The keg was done at that time so Joe 2 made us some hard drinks with what I call free-pouring.

Well, ever tasted gasoline? It tasted like that. We all hung out and talked. The Governor took off to bed about 4am and the rest of us hung out. Well, after some more gasoline the sun was rising. I was shocked. I have not seen the sun rise in a decade. I even stayed up late after working ten hours the previous night to wake at 11am the day of the gig to try to make sure I'd be good until 3am as far as sleep.

Nevertheless, I saw my last hallucination about 7:30am. The kids were STILL up and eating the scores of pizza that were available during the party. I ate some and said I'd be hittin' the floor even if the rest were staying up. It was 8am! The drummer came back at 12:30 and woke me up. I got 4.5 hours of sleep and was not ready to get up but I did. Oh I felt I needed some food and lots of sleep. Still, everyone came back and tore down the equipment while I suffered for having too much gasoline and not enough sleep. We all talked and joked about the gig and got our stuff done about 2:30pm. Funny, Joe 2 was STILL awake (read: had not slept all night) when I left. I got home, made some huge food and had to nap. Slept 3 hours and felt much better.

I totally veg'ed out Saturday night and Sunday. I played/practiced very little in that I felt spent.

All in all, it was a great time. If I were to do one thing different it would be (well many things):

1. Not try to play songs with drunken girls at a late hour unless I know the song well.

2. Don't drink free-poured drinks late at night.

3. Call it a day by 4am because by then it HAS to be time to go to bed.

As a side note, we were supposed to play this gig for free. The drummer did not feel right about asking to get paid. Lo and behold, the Governor paid us $250 for the 3 sets so that was just all the more cool for the night.

I can't wait to play the next show! God I love playing (even if I suck). It just is like a drug. At practice Tuesday I was talking with the guys to see if we can get some more gigs lined up. For me, a bar gig would be the deal. Yet they tell me (from their days of playing bars) that you have to bring in a certain amount of customers to buy drinks and they say that part sucks. We'll see. But I think that would be the coolest……

corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Wes Inman » January 7th, 2005, 4:30 am

Dennis

Terrific story. Now you can carve another notch in your guitar! It must be difficult for an organized person like you to get off the set list, but that is gonna happen just about everytime at house parties. It's all a learning process. At clubs you will be able to keep to the list (most of the time).

And I can totally relate to wanting to play all night. The time can go so fast sometimes.

Yeah, you have to watch when people come up and ask you to play songs you don't know well. If it's late and the crowd is gone it's OK, but don't do that when there's a crowd. Just say you don't know it and try to talk them into a song you do know. I am kind of anal, but I feel you must always present the most professional show possible in front of a crowd. But believe me, I've done that type of thing plenty of times. After all, you are there to please the crowd. Sometimes those things come out pretty great, but sometimes they come out dreadfully bad.

Anyway, glad you had fun, thanks for the great report! 8)

Wes
If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis
Wes Inman
Musically Insane

Postby NoteBoat » January 7th, 2005, 6:32 am

Good advice from Wes... if somebody asks for a song you don't do well (or isn't simple enough to fake well), suggest something by the same artist if you can.

Requests can get dicey sometimes... one of my more memorable gigs was in a dive bar on Broadway in Chicago about 25 years ago. A guy who'd obviously had 6 or 8 too many shouted out "play Sympathy for the Devil" and we did. We did a couple more tunes, and then he shouts out "Play Sympathy for the Devil". I said we'd already done that tune, and he took exception to that...

This gig was in a 'dart bar', where the bar had a dart team and several dart boards along the front wall (the stage was in the back). He storms over to a dartboards, grabs some darts, and starts throwing them at the band!

Luckily nobody was hit, and since he was close to the front door the bouncer removed him pretty quickly. Still an exciting night, though - the closest I've come to that scene in Blues Brothers where the band was behind the chicken wire fence :)
NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Postby TwistedFingers » January 7th, 2005, 1:39 pm

Thanks Dennis, the wait was killing me. :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"
TwistedFingers
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby corbind » January 7th, 2005, 8:56 pm

We'll, I've had about a week to think about what went good and bad at the show. The consensus (after talking with each of the guys individually), is that we played pretty well and it wall went over well. I even asked for them to tell me what I did wrong and got some pointers but really nothing as specific as I'd like. But I guess everyone can't remember every mistake to point out at the next practice.

Yea, if I were to do it again, I would have asked those pretty blondes to pick another song or maybe one of the ones we already did as a band. At least those I've played many times (with the exceptions of the ones we learned in the week or weeks before the gig). Fortunately there was no “crowd” when I played poorly for the gals. It wasn't like earlier.

I have a secondary book that has songs, which I don't do with the band but either on my own or with my buddy John. That binder I left at home that night because I figured why would I need it. Yet I would have loved to have had it that night late like that because most of those songs are punk or more rocked-out. Also, one of the girls wanted some songs in that vain so it would have been better.

At least I have that third one down. Now I'm just waiting for more. It seems the drummer is the only one who can get us gigs. I'll have to bug him to see if he can line something up. Before I joined, these guys had not played out in 2-3 years and I think that's a waste to go to practice every week and to not play for people. I mean, if nobody hears you, does it matter you're playing? Granted, I'd play no matter what because I enjoy playing even if it's in my music room playing against a cd. But I feel playing for others adds a much bigger dimension to the whole thing.

And, I'll have to say I did not edit the post well. I wanted to get it out. Also, I was quite blunt and said things that may not be appropriate for the guitar site but I included them because it was my reality for that night. All in all, I hope that this glimpse into my good, bad, and ugly helps others. At least it helped me express what my eyes saw and my ears heard.

Oh yea, I want to thank every person who reads this and posts back. That way I know people do actually read the mumbo-jumbo I write and were interested enough to get through it all. Often I write WAY more than most would like to digest.
corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Taso » January 7th, 2005, 9:37 pm

Corbind, digesting all your mumbo jumbo is something that is inspiring to many of us here. Makes me more anxious for my first gig, whenever it comes.
Taso
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby corbind » January 7th, 2005, 11:16 pm

Taso, you made my night!!! I'm here now on my x-beer just thinking about songs and stuff I should do. I've been organizing my songs (read: tedious) because it's late. But I read your post and I feel much better. I laugh often because I want to learn the song something like “it's another Saturday night but I ain't got nobody…” It's a great tune but it may apply to me. I spend too much time doing this guitar thing to even go out. Heck, it's Friday night and what did I do? I jammed for the first time with a guy I met in the library a few weeks back. Oh my, where are my priorities?

It was nice, nevertheless. But I got back from that and read my emails and typed a bit while setting up my gear from the travel. Time is precious and I know we should use it wisely.

Once again, I appreciate that you read through the novels!

corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Wes Inman » January 8th, 2005, 5:29 am

Dennis

That's just one more good thing about guitar. It will keep you out of trouble (unless you play so loud the neighbors call the cops).

I didn't see anything bad about your post. Heh, just be yourself.

Maybe you should go out and get the gigs. It's really not that difficult. Many people will tell you to make a demo CD and drop it off at clubs and then call back in 2 weeks. In my opinion, that is a poor way to get gigs.

I was an Insurance salesman for over 10 years. I learned how to talk to total strangers and close sales on the spot. And I apply some of those techniques for getting gigs. It has always worked very successfully for me.

I find it helps to go in twos. You want to take a bandmate who has a nice easy-going, likeable personality, someone outgoing. It is good to have a demo CD or cassette of the band. You need at most 3 or 4 of the band's best songs on there. These club owners are only going to listen for a few minutes, so you don't need an album. It is good to go early in the evening, like 7-8 o'clock. If you go earlier they are busy with the Happy Hour crowd, if you go later they are busy with the Night crowd. I have found this a good time when the owner is almost always there, and it is not so busy. You go in and introduce yourself. Now I think it is important to display confidence. People expect Rock N Roll guys to be confident, even a little arrogant. If you go in there staring at the floor, what kind of Rocker are you?? No, you have to be a little cocky, cause real Rock N Rollers are. I'm not saying be a jerk. Just show confidence. Be friendly and polite. BE FUN. That is important. That is why it helps to bring a bandmate. You can kid around with each other. Club owners want a band that is fun, that will get the crowd to party it up. So bring the fun guy in your group (unless he's a jerk).

Now, it helps to have a nice professional flyer for the band. It should have an attractive photo of the band. Maybe some pictures of live gigs as well (make sure there is a big crowd in the photo). Believe me, they will study that picture. And then you should have a nice list of all your songs and artists they were written by. You may play an Aerosmith cover this guys never heard of, but he knows who Aerosmith is and likes them! And of course it should have contact phone numbers.

Now so far, this is pretty much what everyone does. It is at this point that people make a mistake IMHO. I can tell you from experience that there are two statements you will commonly hear from club owners at this point.

1) OK, leave me the CD and I'll listen to it and get back to you.

2) We're all booked right now.

Wham!! The kiss of death. And this is where people blow it. They will say, "OK" and give the guy (or gal) the CD and flyer and leave. Then they will call back in two weeks and hear the owner (if they even remember you) tell you they haven't had a chance to listen to the CD.

No, here is where you have to use a little persistence and salesmanship. And it is easy. It really is.

First, I will bring my own player (had it when I came in) and play a little of my demo. Not too much. Even 30 seconds of one song is enough. But play your best song. And talk the band up a little. Your bandmate can help with that. You must be very positive about your band. You guys are the greatest thing to come around since Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches!

And then, after playing my demo, I shut it off and ask this question. It is VERY IMPORTANT to ask this question. I simply ask;

"WHEN IS YOUR NEXT OPEN DATE?"

Now, usually they will look a little confused at this point. They have a lot of things on their mind. So this kinda catches them off guard sometimes. They are really not sure themselves :? . Sometimes that "We are booked" was just an easy excuse to blow you off. If they say, I don't know, I say, "Go get your calendar". Now Dennis, if they go to get that calendar, I HAVE A GIG. Trust me. If they go for that calendar, you have already broken down the barrier. When they come back and open that calender they will usually be booked for 2 months or so, but there are oftentimes open spots in there. If the guy says, "Well, I've got Thursday the 17th" just say, "I'LL TAKE IT".

You just "CLOSED" in salesman terminology. And it works.

Now you have the gig. You really do. So now the guy will want to start talking about pay. And how you act will determine your relationship with this owner for times to come. Be on his side. See things from his perspective. Do not demand an unreasonable amount of money. He will just tell you no. He is not in the business of hiring bands. He is in business to make money for himself. He really doesn't want to spend one penny on a band, but he knows bands draw and keep customers. So give him a deal he can't refuse. Say something like, "We'll play the first two gigs for $150, but after that we want $400 a gig". Now I am using prices in my area here. In a big city you can ask more. But these are very standard prices all over.

And you notice I've already asked for a 2nd (and more) gig before even playing the 1st gig. 8) Oh, yeah.

But I've got a little formula to figure pay. It's $5 per person. If a club draws 50 customers per night, you can get $250-300. If they draw 200 people, you can get a grand. But your band has to draw and keep these people. But if you can, this is how you will get paid.

So, that's my method. And it works. I have gotten dozens and dozens of gigs on the spot like this. It doesn't always work. But more often than not, it does.

So there's Wes's Gig 101 Class. I should publish this and sell it on the web.

Now, go get some gigs Dennis.
If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis
Wes Inman
Musically Insane

Next