Homemade Guitar Humidifier? Is it safe?

Post your question here and an experienced guitar player or teacher will get back to you.
no_hero2

Homemade Guitar Humidifier? Is it safe?

Post by no_hero2 » February 1st, 2016, 11:39 pm

Hello. I recently bought my first Dean acoustic guitar last week because I've been interested to learn the guitar for a few years. It's a St. Augustine Dreadnought acoustic, and I've been reading that your guitar should always be properly humidified in order to prevent cracks, the shrinking wood, etc. Well -I live in Vegas- here the average is 30% humidity, and I also read several other websites that the ideal temperatures and humidity for most guitars is around 72°f and 46%-52% humid. I came across a "homemade humidifier" made of only kitchen sponges and a ziploc bag with holes so I tried it out.

I put 2 in my gig bag- one under the neck where there's plenty of space, and the other halfway in the strings. The sponge/bag isn't touching any part of the guitar. Is this safe? I also have a hygrometer just to kind of get an idea of the humidity and temperature inside the case. Is it okay to use sponges as long as you wash it frequently?

Also, is it bad if I'm taking the guitar out of its "ideal humidity" to play? Do I NEED to get a room humidifier to play? The humidity drops down to 30% really fast when the guitar's out if it's case. Thank you so much.

Hobson

Re: Homemade Guitar Humidifier? Is it safe?

Post by Hobson » February 4th, 2016, 1:07 pm

I can't guarantee that it's safe, but I've been using sponges in a baggy with holes for years. And I live in Arizona. Of course you want to play the guitar, so you have to take it out for that. No, you don't need a room humidifier, just don't forget to keep the sponges moistened.
Renee

jenijohnson

Re: Homemade Guitar Humidifier? Is it safe?

Post by jenijohnson » October 25th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Important point: you must continuously monitor the condition of the tank with water. If it is not cleaned for a long time, microorganisms begin to multiply in the stagnant water. This is fraught with unpleasant smells in the apartment and the spread of infections. In some models, the water in the tank is disinfected with an integrated silver rod. However, its efficiency leaves much to be desired, so we recommend using special antibacterial agents to purify the air. With their help, you protect yourself from infections and increase the period between cleaning the device. Plenty of info on a Google search