Welcome to the forums!

Can I make My Acoustic Electric Sound Like An Electric?

Post your question here and an experienced guitar player or teacher will get back to you.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby JetSolo » October 19th, 2004, 8:43 pm

I enjoy playing acoustic guitar but every now and then I get the feeling to play some Electric songs.

Is their any sort of device that I can use to make the acoustic sound exaclty like an electric and play like (blink 182, yellowcard?)?

I've heard a bit about pedals...is this what they do?

I have a Fender 15r Frontman amp.

Jet.
JetSolo

Postby DemoEtc » October 20th, 2004, 5:36 am

If your acoustic guitar has steel strings and not nylon, you can buy a Dimarzio soundhole pickup - like an electric guitar pickup with a spring mount that holds it in the soundhole - and plug that into your amp. It works off the magnetic properties of the strings rather than the vibrations through the wood of the body - like a piezo pickup in some acoustic/electrics - and so it'll give you an electric sort of sound. It probably won't give you the exact sounds you mentioned because those are made with solid body guitars with 2 or more pickups, but it'll be closer.

Then you could maybe get a Line6 POD or a Behringer V-Amp and plug your guitar into that to get massive, overdriven rock amp sounds through your headphones or hi-fi system.

I recorded a couple of tracks using an Epiphone acoustic 12-string with an old Stratocaster pickup in the soundhole (I made a disk out of cardboard so it would hold the pickup in the soundhole), and though it was nasty looking, it gave me some pretty convincing 60s sort of electric 12-string sounds when played through my POD. I don't have the tracks up online anywhere, but they sounded pretty electric.

Give it a try, it might be fun :)
"...2, 3, AND...wait, hold on! What key's it in?"

http://www.sunnyhalemahina.com

Listen to our Music
DemoEtc
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby JetSolo » October 20th, 2004, 7:35 pm

Wow...thats cool!..

Their seems to be tons of pickups from DiMazio. Which one is the best, or would you recommend?

Music for Yellowcard, blink182...and that classic song la bamba in electric and the Oh donna song from richie valens. Kinda see what sound i'm going for?

This is the Search I got for all the DiMazio Pickups.

How is a pickup installed btw...just throw it in the whole? :wink: btw...I've heard alot of good things about Stratocoaster American Series Guitars - why...and is it the pickup sound?

Thanks,

Jet.
JetSolo

Postby Metaellihead » October 20th, 2004, 8:28 pm

You're looking at pickups for an electric...

What you want is an accoustic pickup:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=acous_elect/search?c=4424&c=4395
-Metaellihead
Metaellihead

Postby DemoEtc » October 21st, 2004, 4:32 am

Yes, this is the one I was thinking of http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=g ... id/302725/

But the others that Metaellihead put up would work too. The reason I had a Strat pickup is that I had three of them sitting around in a box for 20 years or so (after I replaced them with Duncan Hotstacks) and I wanted to see if I could do it myself by cutting out a cardboard disk that fit in the hole of my acoustic and then using electrical tape to keep it in place.

Strats are popular because lots of peole like how they sound, but lots of other people like the sound of Gibson guitars - Les Pauls, SGs and other models. Both Strats (Fender) and the Gibsons are full-on electric solid body guitars - which you might get into one day - and *only* sound like electric guitars. I liked the fact that I could take my sound hole pickup out and have an acoustic again - which I'm using a lot of now. :)

Like I said earlier, putting a pickup in your acoustic won't make it sound *exactly* like a solid body electric guitar, but it'll be close enough to enjoy until you decide whether or not to get a solid body.

Take care :)
"...2, 3, AND...wait, hold on! What key's it in?"

http://www.sunnyhalemahina.com

Listen to our Music
DemoEtc
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby forrok_star » October 21st, 2004, 10:38 am

There are plenty of Multi-effects pedals that will have this ability to create the sound of an acoustic. to name a couple Zoom 505, Digitech RP50. Both would cost less than $100.00 . They will already have presets programed into them and would just need a little tweaking to get them to sound great with your equipment.

joe
forrok_star
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby TaylorR » October 21st, 2004, 4:17 pm

Id just get an electric.
aka Izabella
TaylorR
Guitarnoise Addict