Welcome to the forums!

Agile Harm 1 Review in GP

Discussion about guitar playing from a diverse group of people with different tastes and levels of experience.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby vink » August 4th, 2006, 10:29 am

The current issue of Guitar Player magazine that showed up in the mail yesterday has a review of the Agile Harm 1.

FWIW, the rating is so-so: Good value for the money, need a better setup, tuners and electronics not so great, some noise from inside the guitar and maybe some frets are not set right.

Big Disclaimer:I am just briefly summarizing what they said. I've never touched an Agile, I have no personal opinion on this. Don't shoot the messenger :-)
--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller
vink

Postby Alan Green » August 6th, 2006, 5:30 am

Straight out of the blue, It's not obvious what we're hearing about here. Is this an electric/ semi?, six/12 string? beginners model/ 5,000 bucks of pro kit?

A :-)
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk
Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Postby greybeard » August 6th, 2006, 5:46 am

It would appear to be a semi-hollow body, sporting 2 P90's
http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss6.html
I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN
greybeard
Guitari Lama

Postby ivankaramazov » August 6th, 2006, 8:01 am

I played a friend's new Agile LP copy last week and can't say I was impressed. It looked, felt, and played like a $100 guitar. In an oddity, the 13th fret of the high E yielded almost a perfect F#, so needless to say anything played on it sounds like junk. Strangely, all the other strings were perfectly in tune. He thought it was some sort of string issue so he restrung it and got the same problem again. He's in the process of shipping it back for a refund, I think.
ivankaramazov

Postby vink » August 6th, 2006, 8:09 am

Alan Green wrote:Straight out of the blue, It's not obvious what we're hearing about here. Is this an electric/ semi?, six/12 string? beginners model/ 5,000 bucks of pro kit?

Semi-hollow, around $289, I think. With two P-90s. http://www.rondomusic.net. There are several people here who have Agile Les Paul copies. They have a model called AS-820, which is mostly a Gibson 335 copy.
--vink
vink

Postby greybeard » August 6th, 2006, 8:37 am

The AS 820 is actually a copy of the Höfner Verithin (or Verythin) - a guitar that will now set you back a fair bit of money, if you have an original, especially the Verithin.
Greybeard's Pages
greybeard
Guitari Lama

Postby Ignar Hillström » August 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Ivan: It's a fret problem, not a string problem. The 14th fret is probably to high.
Click here for FREE, limited one-time only offer!
Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Postby vink » August 6th, 2006, 9:07 am

Arjen wrote:Ivan: It's a fret problem, not a string problem. The 14th fret is probably to high.

By the way, the review also mentioned potential fret/intonation problems, higher up the neck, above the 13th fret.

(And Greybeard, thanks for the clarification .. I never even heard of a Verithin/Verythin before :-))
--vink
vink

Postby greybeard » August 6th, 2006, 9:22 am

Here's a page with a picture of one:
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/81-guitars.html

Scroll down to the bottom.
I've learned something new, today. I had no idea that Carvin had used Höfner parts to build guitars of their own. Interesting.

Here's the current crop on Höfner's site
http://www.steverussell.freeserve.co.uk/hofner/nhof.html

Again, you need to scroll down, although there are some nice guitars to be seen on the way!
Greybeard's Pages
greybeard
Guitari Lama

Postby vink » August 6th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Yeah, it does look almost exactly like it, except for the bridge!
--vink
vink

Postby greybeard » August 7th, 2006, 8:12 am

vink wrote:Yeah, it does look almost exactly like it, except for the bridge!

The Carvin version had the same bridge as yours as did some of the Verithins, which also were sometimes fitted with Bigsby's.
Greybeard's Pages
greybeard
Guitari Lama

Postby The Dali » August 7th, 2006, 9:35 am

Random comment, but it makes me laugh when I see SX and Agile guitars for sale on eBay by regular people. There are 250 listings for NEW Agile 2000LPs at $199 from Rondo Music, and then some schlep throws his 3-year-old Agile 2000LP out there for $179 plus $25 shipping.

Yeah, I know it is a way to get rid of the guitar, but why would I buy from you at $179+25 when I can buy direct from Rondo for a NEW guitar (and return ability) for $199 + 15??

I just think it is funny that people expect to get 95% of their purchase price back for a $200 guitar that has no real name brand.
-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"
The Dali
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby vanzant38 » August 7th, 2006, 9:21 pm

That reminds me, I spotted an Ibanez RG321mh on ebay and watched it until it sold. It went for $345 plus $40 shipping. This is amazing because MF sells it for $279 w/free shipping. I know cuz I bought one. Mine was the Grey Nickel one, but mine also came with a feature that not many come with. Someone punctured the box and the guitar got damaged. Sent it back and now the darn thing is on back order.
My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt
vanzant38

Postby Ignar Hillström » August 8th, 2006, 1:26 am

E-bay and the likes is populated with morons and total losers. On numerous occasions I've put stuff up for auction for very reasonable prices only to come back and see a bunch of braindead idiots were in a bidding war and had way exceeded the actual price you'd pay for it in a store. It's pathetic.
Click here for FREE, limited one-time only offer!
Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Postby vink » August 8th, 2006, 8:42 am

Yeah, you need to clearly think about your upper limit and plan accordingly. You know, I've seen lot of new stuff advertised for a dollar less than what you would pay from a regular store, and then they add $30 shipping..

Anyway, I guess, since we've gone way off topic : nice new avtar, Arjen .. didn't recognize you, although the writing style seemed familiar :lol:
--vink
vink