Guitars Made For Fast Playing

Discussion about guitar playing from a diverse group of people with different tastes and levels of experience.
paul donnelly
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by paul donnelly » February 15th, 2005, 10:32 pm

The solution for a scalloped neck is to use heavy strings. That way you get the, "playing on air" feeling, and you also get to play barres in tune. I find that the biggest difference between scalloped and non-scalloped necks is that your fingers don't brush the fingerboard when bending, which is cool.

kyoun1e

Post by kyoun1e » February 16th, 2005, 6:08 am

Taso,

I already have an SG actually.

I hear you on the practice. I'm on my 2nd year of guitar as a 37 year old. It's not like I have all day/everyday to practice. Year 1 was about basic chords. Year 2 was about just learning how to get my fingers to play scales. Now my goal for year 3:

* Get moving on those scales with rapid fire riffs

I feel like I'm getting there. I'm getting there to the point where I'm looking for a meaner looking metal machine.

Am I ready for a scalloped neck? No way. Am I ready for a nice metal compliment to my SG.

Yes.

Thanks. KY

Nick
Administrator

Post by Nick » February 16th, 2005, 7:13 am

Speed is in your fingers.

Thinner necks seem to allow me to play faster because my hand angle can change. Really, the difference is pretty minor.
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Post by NoteBoat » February 16th, 2005, 10:11 am

Maybe you're right about it being a fad, maybe you're not. I remember Alembic introducing a guitar in the 70s that had the frets, nut, and bridge angled about 15 degrees - that was supposed to give better speed. It never caught on, and I only saw one guitar like that.

Scalloped necks definately seem to have their fans, though, even though you don't see a difference and I don't care for them. Heck, I thought 7 string guitars were a fad - only van Eps and Bucky really worked with them - now you see them all over the place.

If they are a fad... we should all go buy one right now. Know what those old Danelectro guitar/sitars are worth? :)

BMXdude

Post by BMXdude » February 16th, 2005, 10:30 am

Any thoghts on jumbo frets.
"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Post by NoteBoat » February 16th, 2005, 10:32 am

That's not the axe I meant :)

Danelectro used to make a combination electric guitar/sitar with sympathetic strings. It's the one on the left.

Nick
Administrator

Post by Nick » February 16th, 2005, 10:51 am

Burrell makes an acoustic with a 7 degree cant to the neck.

kyoun1e

Post by kyoun1e » February 16th, 2005, 11:00 am

First scalloped necks...now jumbo frets...what the heck is a jumbo fret?

greybeard
Guitari Lama

Post by greybeard » February 16th, 2005, 12:01 pm

Jumbo fret = upset elephant :lol:
I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Nick
Administrator

Post by Nick » February 16th, 2005, 12:03 pm

Jumbo frets may give you better sustain, tone and will definitely make for easier bending and easier fretting. It's like the poor-man's scalloping, your fingers don't have to press down so hard to fret a note or a chord. If you aren't pressing down as hard, you can be lighter and faster.

The big downside? Because of the extra height, if you press down like you would on a normal fret guitar, you'll ever so slightly stretch the strings causing the intonation to go off.
Last edited by Nick on February 16th, 2005, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antny

Post by antny » February 16th, 2005, 12:26 pm

I', m no expert but if I may give my opinion. Obviously speed comes down to technique and the setup of your guitar but I think certain brands do at least help one play faster. I know there are speed guys who play strats but there is a widespread opinion that strats take a little more work to play than some other guitars. I've read where many different "pro's" have said this. I think ibanez as well as some other are better suited for really low action and as far as the curve of the fretboard I don't really know. I do know that when I pick up an ibanez at a store the action is almost always really low already and at least to me makes my strat feel much slower. Also I once had a guitar teacher show me a scalloped strat. He let me play and at least to me it seemed like a note would sound at the slightest touch. If it doesn't work why would they bother. It seemed to me like it did. Any ways pick an ibanez up some time and try it out. Maybe youll like it.

kyoun1e

Post by kyoun1e » February 16th, 2005, 12:38 pm

Jumbo frets...got it.

Seems to me that guitar mfgs are doing all kinds of things to help the guitar player play faster...whether it be jumbo frets, scalloped necks, or thin necks.

I've heard of the Ibanez wizard necks. I'll have to try this brand out.

Seems like Ibanez/Jackson/ESP seem to fit in this crowd of appealing to those who want speed while the strats and Gibsons/Les Pauls are more versatile.

KY