Welcome to the forums!

Delay and reverb

Here is a forum for everything between the guitar (here) and the amp (there). If you want to know about cables, effects pedals, multieffects, noisegates, line drivers, phasers, distortion post your questions in here.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby Nuno » October 6th, 2010, 12:40 pm

I am looking for an effect for getting a more "spacious" sound. I was checking several effects and combinations in my pedalboard these days but my idea is to get a new (and better) pedal. Mainly I was checking reverbs and time effects but also some modulation effects.

Yesterday when I was in the subway I heard a guitar player. He was using a delay effect for the same purpose (although he was also using the "natural reverb" effect of the corridors). It sounded pretty good.

Today I was using a delay with a short delay time and a low volume for the wet signal. The delay (with those parameters) could be a good solution as well. Moreover, it seemed the sound was clearer than the sound I got with the reverb effect (perhaps it is the pedalboard that I am using).

Do you use the reverb effect? Do you use the delay effect like that guitar player? Do you use a different effect or a combination of them?

Thanks!
Nuno
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Blue Jay » October 6th, 2010, 2:19 pm

I'm glad you've heard some sounds you liked. It is enlightening and rewarding to hear good new sounds, that's ear candy. And who doesn't like a treat, or something sweet? :wink:

I use reverb all the time, and like wet sounds, or big room, or hall sounds. So, that's a quick endorsement, easily said.

I use delay often, as much as possible, and always with a Tele, because I think that Roy Buchanan used it... beautifully!

It enhances tone IMO, like Bill Kirchen's slap back I think - think Hot Rod Lincoln. And Hank Marvin used tape echo with his Burns' and Strats, on his classic creations in music, which I consider works of art. You can hear it plainly, clear here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEXorY7Aubk
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
Blue Jay
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby Nuno » October 6th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Good link and good bunch of names... I will be amused listening and comparing sounds! :D
Nuno
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby slejhamer » October 6th, 2010, 5:43 pm

My church has so much natural reverb that I wish I had an anti-reverb effect! Really, the hall sounds great for vocalists, but not so much for a band. But I still use delay very often, as the U2/Edge sound is extremely popular in modern worship music. A tap-tempo feature is critical for me, and really handy for getting the repeats right (especially when using dotted eighth delay.) For a more ambient effect, I'll use an analog delay setting just to get a bit more of a "wash" of sound, especially when added to the natural reverb. I have a Line 6 Echo Park that I use with my acoustic, and a couple delay settings on the Boss ME-70 when I play electric.

Before we moved into this hall, I had the Line 6 Verbzilla pedal. Really nice reverb sounds, and the "octo" effect (like strings, an octave higher) was very cool.
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

My CIG Rock Blog
slejhamer
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Nuno » October 7th, 2010, 3:09 am

I was trying the Ibanez AD9 some months ago and I liked it. I also want to try the MXR Carbon Copy but the pedal was broken! It did I reconsidered the purchase of MXR (perhaps all the other pedals are good but... you know!)

I was watching some demos on YouTube about the Verbzilla, and I agree the "octo" effect is really cool.

By the way, I watched again to the guitar player in the subway, he was in the same station. He is awesome! One of these days I will not come to work!

Today he was playing the adagio of Concierto de Aranjuez. Good fingers!
Nuno
Guitarnoise Addict