Welcome to the forums!

Big Noise with Strato and Overdrive..

Here is a forum for everything between the guitar (here) and the amp (there). If you want to know about cables, effects pedals, multieffects, noisegates, line drivers, phasers, distortion post your questions in here.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby jota » June 28th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Hi there! First say hi to everybody...I am new in this forum and my native language is spanish ;-) but i'm gonna try to write in english....i am a professional musician (guitar player) and sometimes (not always) when i come to a new gig (whether a hall or an open air) i have a lot of noise when i turn on my Overdrive,it's a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde and my guitar is a Fender StratoCaster 25th Anniversary (1994)....in my pedalboard i have more stomp boxes,in this order:
1-Sennheiser Wireless System EW
2-Peterson Tuner
3-Boss Tuner
4-OVERDRIVE JEKYLL & HYDE
5-Boss Flanger
6-Ibanez Tremo-Vibe
7-Boss Delay DD-20
8-Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2

And i work always with Tube Amps,like Fender,Vox,MArshall or MesaBoogie

The last time i had so much noise that,even,with the Noise Suppressor at maximum level,it was impossible to reduce the noise,but..the next day playing in another place,no noise coming from the guitar...so? My guitar has been  recently "shielded" so i am quite sure that this noise came from my pedalboard and the electricity system in each venue....
Could you help me?
Maybe i need some "Current transformer" or something for the electricity?
Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you!!
jota

Postby Diceman » July 12th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Welcome to Guitar Noise ! I think what you need is a power conditioner . Many companies make them : Furman and Monster are two of the most popular . They can cost anywhere from $30.00 (US) to several thousand dollars . The common saying is you get what you pay for and I am sure it is true in this case . Good luck !
If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .
Diceman

Postby jota » July 13th, 2012, 10:23 am

Ok man, Thanks for the info, I am gonna check them!
jota

Postby dogbite » July 29th, 2012, 11:52 am

also keep in mind that some pedals are not true bypass; they can color the sound.
sometimes a tuner left ON in the signal chain can cause noise. my band mate forgets to turn his off and when we finish a song and the guitars are quiet all I hear is HHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH until he clicks the tuner OFF.
dogbite
Musically Insane