Welcome to the forums!

In good company with my amp choice

Read about the latest happenings of our site! If you have an upcoming gig or jam, post it here.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby TRGuitar » June 22nd, 2012, 11:23 am

As many of you know I recently purchased a Marshall Haze. I got the 40 watt combo, Wes Inman who hasn't been around here in a while raved about the 15 watt head he purchased. I am a big fan of Blue Coupe. (Bouchard brothers from Blue Oyster Cult and Denis Dunway from The Alice Cooper Group) I was recently watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kBgIwl7MDc and noticed the small amp head I have seen Joe Bouchard use in other videos (Usually as a half stack). I had assumed it was a Marshall Artist, he must have so much cool vintage gear, but this was very sharp high def video and I could swear I saw the word "Haze" on the thing. I wanted to be sure so I asked him. This is what he told me.
That's a Marshall Haze. Only 15 watts but it's all tube and the sweetest amp I own. I often set it up in stereo with a Vox 50 watt as the satellite for delays and chorusing. It makes for a sweet combination.

PS I realized it wasn't an Artist as there was clearly no stand by switch. Some say this amp isn't a "real" Marshall because it is made in India. It sounded like a real Marshall to me as I used to own a couple and apparently it sounds like one to a rock legend as well. :wink:
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --
TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » June 25th, 2012, 8:34 am

That's wicked cool, TR!

You'd be a much better judge of how that amp should sound for the music you play than most people out there. I wouldn't pay any attention to snobs who think that amp might be less than great because of a boat ride.

Neat story, though. One of your faves uses your affordable, working man's amp when he has pick of the litter. How cool is that? 8) 8)
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin
rparker
Musically Insane

Postby TRGuitar » June 25th, 2012, 2:23 pm

Yes it is cool. What is cool too is when I wondered about it for sure, I just asked him on FaceBook and had an answer in 6 minutes! Ahhhhh, just ask a guitar player about their gear and they get chatty. :lol:

On a similar vein there is a dude that is the equipment review editor for Guitar World and in a lot of his video reviews of amps he is playing an Epiphone Les Paul. I read in one of his articles that they are his favorite guitars. Certainly not a job that would make a man rich but also certainly one that would gaurantee the gear he desired. He likes Epi's and his favorite appears to be a black les Paul Custom.
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --
TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » June 25th, 2012, 3:35 pm

We can certaily understand one digging a black Epi LP. (and honeyburst, for that matter.)
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin
rparker
Musically Insane