Welcome to the forums!

News or the same old same old

Read about the latest happenings of our site! If you have an upcoming gig or jam, post it here.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby cnev » November 30th, 2011, 5:07 am

TR sounds like a plan gotta do what you gotta do.

I guess I was just a bit anxious, the other guitar player did get back to me and he's on board so now we are just looking at what day to get together it was going to be Sat but the bass player has a wedding to go to so we are looking at next Tues. Our drummer just started working again and he's driving a truck and has to be up at 3 AM so we are trying to work around him.

Quess I just need to chill out and go with the flow and not get too excited, I should know better by now.
Last edited by cnev on November 30th, 2011, 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » November 30th, 2011, 5:49 am

cnev wrote:Quess I cuz need to chill and go with the flow and not get too excited, I should know better by now.

Easier said that done. Good luck on that one. I'm glad your other player is back on board. Hopefully these little bursts of silence won't happen. Maybe he needed a day or two to ponder things without letting you guys know he was pondering things. :?:
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin
rparker
Musically Insane

Postby cnev » November 30th, 2011, 6:29 am

Roy, he's a bit of a strange bird in some ways. Like I mentioned my instructor called him a "pro" and he definitely has that type of work ethic and chops which is great for us, but there are some downsides.

One is he's in another band, one that he is basically running so that is his number one priority. I can understand that and as long as we don't get the short end of the stick it's cool but if he starts putting us off to much then I think we will need to move on.

Second we can now only practice at his house which is a ride for all of us. This I can deal with he has a good setup just a long drive.

By his own admission he is not much of a social person and prefers us to have everything done so when we practice we are not trying to learn our parts we should already know them. That part I'm totally OK with. My buddy and old bass player would drive me nuts whenever we got to practice and got ready to play the first song he'd always say something like what chord is that or what are you playing now...very frustrating.

So as I've learned, the band is one big dysfunctional family but someone needs to be in charge to keep it going in the right direction. Never thought it would be me.
Last edited by cnev on November 30th, 2011, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » November 30th, 2011, 6:42 am

From way outside of the situation looking in, and based entirely on what you've said that I've read, my guess is that you will indeed get the short end of the stick. The question is, is that enough of the stick for you guys to be OK with? If it is, great! :)
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin
rparker
Musically Insane

Postby cnev » November 30th, 2011, 7:02 am

You're right we will and do but I think at least for awhile we can live with that. We got past picking the songs and have our first set in place. if everything goes the way we plan it's just a matter of everyone learning the songs getting together to practice them and getting out there.

Maybe easier said than done but in reality that's it and if we all come prepared we can make this happen. His other band is not burning down the house with gigs I think he said the next one isn't until February so we should get some of his time for awhile. if we can get everything down and get out there and play we might be able to turn this into his #1 band.

I had to learn about 10 new songs since we changed a bunch of them, and I was actually able to learn most while I was unable to play. Just going through the motions and listening to the record. Once my finger was a little mobile all I needed to do was play them.

I still have a couple I haven't practiced alot but don't expect them to be a problem Young Lust and Train Train are new one and Just what I needed is one I've played but not for a long time. Only just what I needed is ont he first set so it's really the only one I need to get down byt the time we practice and that shouldn't be a problem.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Chris C » December 3rd, 2011, 2:52 am

cnev wrote:
So as I've learned, the band is one big dysfunctional family but someone needs to be in charge to keep it going in the right direction. Never thought it would be me.

:mrgreen:

'm guessing that a lot of bands are like "one big dysfunctional family" - with stories that read like a daytime TV soap opera. Your cute friend in your avatar looks like they've got the role of "The Beautiful" one nailed down, so maybe you're "The Bold"...

Good luck with having a long running series...

Cheers,

Chris
Chris C
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby cnev » December 5th, 2011, 5:43 am

Well the series continues. I finally have everyone onboard and practice is this coming Saturday. It's been awhile since I played with anything besides a CD.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby cnev » December 12th, 2011, 11:17 am

I'm knocking on wood as I write this.

We finally after many months got together with the band this past Saturday night. For those that never read the post we've gone through some band drama (the bass player quit back in Sept) and shortly after that I broke my finger on my fretting hand and couldn't play for a couple months. I just started playing about a week and a half ago.

Anyway, we had picked 12 songs for our first "set" and we were going to work on them Saturday. I drove up with the drummer and his girlfriend ( I have a problem with that but another time, wellpractice is for practice we don't need girlfriends around) got there a few minutes early.

We practice at the lead guitar player's house, he's got a great setup and he's really freakin good and I don't want to lose him, but he's also in another band too so we don't get his full attention.

Anyway we walk in and he starts talking about how busy he's been and how he didn't really get a chance to work on the songs but he'll wing it. I'm starting to think Oh boy here we go we aren't going to get anything done this week and who knows when we'll get together again.

The new bass player and singer came about 10 mins later and we set up and were ready to play. I think most of the songs are new for the bass player too so he was worried he didn't know them all but I assured him it wouldn't be a problem.

Make a long story it was a pretty killer night. It was proabably the best I've been involved in since I've been playing. We went through 5 - 6 songs most we nailed the first time except a song by Better than Ezra which those guys learned that night but by the 3rd time we killed it.

The other guitar player Dave as I mentioned is a pro and a super critical guy who doesn't really give out compliments to much but after we played he kept saying how good we sounded. Loved to hear it because I'd like for this to be his #1 band.

We broke out an STP song which isn't even on our list to play Plush ( which isn't a hard song) but man we nailed that one too.

And I'm not bragging about me I'm just the slug in the background but there definitely was a vibe there and a connection we played well together.

So practice is next Sat again we added 4 more songs to the list and there were a few we hadn't gone over yet but as of right now things look really promising, of course as my post shows this could all crumble by tomorrow.

But another interesting thing happened. I played through his Marshall JCM900 combo amp and it was by far the best sound my guitar has ever had. I think I'm a Marshall guy or else my Fender is really off but there was no brittle, sterile sound like a get through the Fender. And to top it off he want's to sell it for $400. I'd but it tomorrow but it's as heavy as the amp I have and I am looking for something lighter.
Last edited by cnev on December 13th, 2011, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » December 12th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Alright! Sounds like a great evening.

And finding the tone you've been after? Man, that's killer news. Unless you need a bucket-loader, I'd snatch it up ASAP. Get wheels, get a mini hand cart, anything. That's as exciting a news tidbit you could post. Go fer it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Roy

rparker
Musically Insane

Postby jwmartin » December 12th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Sounds like a great night. It's great when things come together like that!
jwmartin
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby cnev » December 13th, 2011, 5:25 am

Roy I'm not sure what I'm happier about the way the band sounded or the way that amp sounded. Yes I should grab it but it is a heavy beast. It's got 2 12" speakers compared to the 1 I have in the Hot Rod and it's heavier than I want, but the tone is so much better at least to my ears.

I'm not much of a trade em/swap em/sell em kind of guy so if I buy this I'll still be in the same boat I want to have a small amp to lug around.

I could buy it and leave it up at his house but then it's already there I can use it for free until he sells it. It's a tough call.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » December 13th, 2011, 10:59 am

I've got duplication on the easy to carry around front. I've got that Blues Deluxe version of your Hot Rod Deluxe. I love it. I think that's where we begin to differ on tone. The HRD has more snap or bite to it than my BDRI.

I wish we lived closer together. I'd be digging on that HRD. If you could find tone you liked in my Super champ XD, that'd be a great carry around amp. Not equal $$-wise, but I'm sure I'd be able to come up with the scratch.

Then again, that's about the last thing I need is another guitar amp. I digress.

You'd be able to sell that HRD for at least $350, I'd say. I think that's lower than going rate down yonder here. I know you said you're not much into selling and such, but it'd pay for the Marshall. Heck, it might get you 1/2 way to one of those nifty 5W jobs in addition to the Marshall. :mrgreen:
Roy

rparker
Musically Insane

Postby cnev » December 13th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Not sure what the difference is between the Blues deluxe and the Hot Rod deluxe but I'm guessing the weight is the same. It's not totally unmanagable but close, for lugging around to practice which usually means walking down someone's narrow, steep basement steps it's a pain.

Buying the Marshall would make that situation even worse, but for the $400 he wants for the amp it's a pretty good deal and it's in good condtion. There are a few different models of the JCM900 and I never really checked the amp so when I go back Saturday I will.

I had this discussion with my instructor and he thinks I'd like the Orange Tiny Terror he has. he said to get the dual channel one that wasn't out when he bought it. He has the head and had a cabinet made by Avatar. He knows I don't play alot of sparkly, clean stuff so this would be nice and it's adjustable 30W>15W>7W.

There are way to many choices for me it makes my head spin.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » December 13th, 2011, 4:37 pm

I just realized that the JCm is a head. That complicates matters. The cab, speakers, etc, etc all gotta match up to get the tone you want, too.
Roy

rparker
Musically Insane

Postby cnev » December 14th, 2011, 5:28 am

This is the combo version of the JCM so it's an all in one deal. I'm starting to lean toward getting it though just because the sound was so much better than the Fender. I'd just leave it up there for now or else bring my Fender up there and leave the Marshall home, but I want to try it once more at practice this week to make sure I really like it.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

PreviousNext