Welcome to the forums!

1st gig tonight - updated with gig report

Read about the latest happenings of our site! If you have an upcoming gig or jam, post it here.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby jwmartin » June 30th, 2012, 1:16 pm

My cover band, Dead Man's Hand, will play it's first semi-public gig tonight. We are playing an outdoor party hosted by a member of another local band. He has 4 or 5 bands each playing an hour on a covered patio. It's been 100+ degrees in Nashville the past few days. Yesterday was the hottest day in Nashville's recorded history at 109. We were supposed to play at 5, but he moved everything back 2 hours because of the heat. Still, I don't know how many people will turn out. My wife and kids have already decided against going. I don't blame them at all! We are playing 15 songs listed below (we may swap out a couple if another band does it before us). I'm packing my stuff to leave right now. Will report back later with how it went.

The Letter
Breakup Song
The One I Love
Keep Your Hands to Yourself
A Little Less Talk, A Lot More Action
867-5309
What I Like About You/ROCK in the USA
Jet Airliner
Pretty Woman
Jumpin Jack Flash
Pride and Joy
Mustang Sally
Kryptonite
Born to Be Wild
Bad Case of Loving You
Last edited by jwmartin on July 1st, 2012, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwmartin
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby Vic Lewis VL » June 30th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Nice set list - unfortunately, it's just a tad too far for me. Good luck, all the best, hope you guys ROCK!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Postby rparker » June 30th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Sounds like fun! Break a leg and all that stuff. :D
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin
rparker
Musically Insane

Postby jwmartin » July 1st, 2012, 5:50 am

Our set went pretty well. Got to the party around 5 and they had just finished setting up. They fed us some BBQ and fried chicken and I got to meet and talk to a bunch of musicians. The 1st band started around 5:30 and set the bar very high for the evening. Their guitar player was playing a Strat through a Bognar amp and the tone was incredible. They went from old country stuff to Robin Trower and rocked it all. The next band was pretty good too doing mostly classic southern rock stuff. Did I mention that during all this, it was HOT. They did have some tarps up and a bunch of fans going, but it was still hot. We got up around 8:30, so the temp dropped below 100 at least. We were all using the same equipment, so changeover was quick. I was using my 5 string and they had a Hartke amp for me to use. I've never been a fan of Hartke's sound and I didn't bring my pedal board or anything, so I just made do. We started off with The Letter blending it into Breakup Song and it sounded really good. Kicked off The One I Love and I could tell something was off with my tuning. Then I realized that in the dark, I had missed the 7th fret and landed on the 6th and was playing everything a half step down. I fixed that and didn't have any other major screwups the rest of the night.

I had Pretty Woman in the original list, but we did Margaritaville instead. That went over really good. I saw a lot of people dancing to most of our songs and our lead guitarist got a lot of cheers from the musicians for his solos in Mustang Sally, Pride and Joy and Born to be Wild. Our last 3 songs were supposed to be Kryptonite, Born to be Wild and Bad Case of Loving You (we go straight from BTBW in to the 1st verse of Bad Case). Our singer/guitarist looked over at our lead guitarist (who starts Kryptonite) and said "ready?" and lead kicks in to the riff of BTBW (which we normally start w/ him and drums together). Me and singer just looked at each other and shrugged and went with it. So Kryptonite was left unplayed.

We got a lot of compliments after the set. I like our song choices and think they will go over pretty well in the bars. The 2 bands before us played a lot of outlaw country and stuff that musicians dig and our singer said before we got up that our stuff may be a little too sugar coated for the crowd cause we do a lot of 80's pop stuff. But I think it's a good blend and with bar gigs, if you have the ladies dancing, you'll get hired again.

The cops did show up about 3 songs into the last band's set. They just told them to turn it down some. I headed home right after that because some friends of ours had come over thinking I would be done around 8 instead of 10.
jwmartin
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby TRGuitar » July 1st, 2012, 7:24 am

Sounds great! I had wondered when you said the time was being pushed back how late and what the police might think. :lol:
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --
TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » July 1st, 2012, 7:45 am

doh! What's one measily little fret amongst friends? :D

Seriously, though, I'm glad your gig was good. It sounds like you were well received. 8) 8)
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin
rparker
Musically Insane

Postby jwmartin » July 1st, 2012, 2:13 pm

rparker wrote:doh! What's one measily little fret amongst friends? :D

You're never more than 1 fret away from a note that fits. :D
jwmartin
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby cnev » July 2nd, 2012, 4:13 am

Sounds like it went well. How do you like the outdoor thing? I know this is all pretty new to me but our last two shows were outside and the temp was 90+ both days. personally I didn't enjoy playing out that much it was hot, my hands were sweaty and slippery and we weren't on a stage at either show and I didn't like satnding on an uneven surface. Luckily we had tarps that we played under.

Jeff, we play a couple of those songs also but I have to admit they probably are good for the bar scene. You need to get people up dancing and I know a lot of the stuff we are playing people aren't going to dance to.
"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby jwmartin » July 2nd, 2012, 6:26 am

Playing outside is not very fun, especially in the heat. It was about 98 degrees when we started (luckily the sun was just about set). I had a lot of issues with my fingers slipping off strings. I've been playing rounds on my 5 string and should have switched back to flats before this but didn't. That would have helped that issue a bit. The surface was fine, we were under a carport and they had a big piece of carpet and a rug laid down to stand on. It was pretty flat. Definitely looking forward to playing indoors on a nice stage later this month.
jwmartin
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby dogbite » July 2nd, 2012, 6:33 am

wow, that is hot!!! playing in the heat is rough going. lots of sweat that makes the arm and hands stick to the guitar. my fingers gettting swollen. a bowl of ice water helps.
great set list.
The Letter; we had it in our set list, but I was out voted and the band tossed it.

rock on you guys. congrats on a great sounding first gig.
dogbite
Musically Insane

Postby cnev » July 2nd, 2012, 7:39 am

Funny The Letter was the first 45 I ever bought, and one of the few I ever owned.

we have a show on the 14th at a bar which will be good to get out of the sun and heat. The only probem is we haven't and won't be able to practice since the last show last weekend because the drummer is on the road...we'll see how that goes.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby jwmartin » July 2nd, 2012, 10:07 am

dogbite wrote:The Letter; we had it in our set list, but I was out voted and the band tossed it.

Hate to hear that. It's a great song and seems to go over well. We play it pretty close to the original, just adding a strummed Am intro before the rest of the band kicks in and a guitar solo over the verse progression. I've done it on acoustic mixing Phillip Phillips (from American Idol this year) and Joe Cocker's versions. It can be done so many different ways.
jwmartin
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby dogbite » July 3rd, 2012, 5:45 am

I get out voted often. I guess my idea of rock and roll is broader than my mates'.
dogbite
Musically Insane

Postby cnev » July 3rd, 2012, 6:20 am

I kind of gave up on suggesting many songs it wasn't worth the effort now I just wait and use my veto power when someone else picks them...well not really I try to just go with the flow.

For the most part I wouldn't have picked many of the songs we play not that any are really bad just not what I personally would listen too, but I do realize I have eclectic taste in music. I'd much rather do more modern stuff not much into nostalgia.
cnev
Guitarnoise Addict