MEET & GREET

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.
nilrem

MEET & GREET

Post by nilrem » May 22nd, 2018, 4:31 pm

Hello all from the east coast of the USA. I came upon this website while trolling for information concerning a repair of an instrument that I recently bought.
I have been a "student" of the guitar in many aspects over the 40+ years that I have been involved in the concept.
I have owned a varied plethora of instruments and gear.
I joined this forum because it appealed to my need to share what I have come to understand about a guitar.

andrewoxley

Re: MEET & GREET

Post by andrewoxley » May 24th, 2018, 3:54 am

Hello Nilrem, welcome to forum...I am new here too. What was the issue that you were looking to get repaired on your guitar? I know that Guitar Answer Guy website has some great tips on guitar issues if it isn't majorly complex. If it is a real complex one then getting a pro to look over it is worth the time and money...knowing this from experience of doing more damage then good to a guitar I was trying to fix!

What is your favourite bit of gear that you have at the moment from your plethora of guitars & gear :)
Professional guitar teacher based in Sheffield, UK - https://www.guitarlessonssheffield.com

nilrem

Post by nilrem » May 30th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I share a collection of guitars, amps and recording equipment with my adult son. He, is a self taught composer using DAW Fruity Loops, + Reason and great guitarist/keyboardist. Together we own 26 guitars : one 12str. - one classical and seven 6str acoustics - sixteen electric six strings; one electric seven string, and two electric basses - one fretted and one fretless. Amps are about one Fender Frontman, one Vox VT30 Valvetronix, one Marshall Acoustic amp. We also own a an Alesis 6 channel Digital Mixer that has a USB port; a 4 channel Stereo Tape recorder with Sound-on-Sound; a vintage Shure SM-67 Microphone and many instrument/mic cables plus guitar stands. I accomplish all of the maintenance and repairs on the cables or guitars. I also dabble in electronic repairs of our equipment that have issues.

I became enraptured by the guitar as a New Year's resolution, 1976. I was serving in the USAF as a fighter aircraft repairman at the time and I had become surrounded by other service members who were musicians that were well beyond my capabilities. yet motivated me to begin learning to play. My involvement in maintenance/repair of guitars began after I discovered how expense it could become when an instrument was repaired by a professional. I am still learning how to use a guitar and much of my effort has been passed on to my son.

I came upon this website as I was trolling the web for some direction with respect to a beautiful Behringer MetAlien six string electric instrument that had a terrible fretting problem. In three different places where was dead frets. One was with respect to the E, A, and D string where the other two were about the G, B, and high E strings. The first three frets had grooves in them from playing that area bunches, also.

I have a collection of luthier tools that I have accumulated over the 42yrs. that I have been a student of guitar technology. I was in a dilemma here though, as a notched straight edge gauge is one of the tools that I have never bought and I was considering that perhaps the fingerboard was the problem. It is a bound rosewood with 24 fret, bolt on. I contemplating making a notchedstright edge BUT, I had no materials on hand to do that, I elected to ignore that issue after I discovered that the truss rod was very loose.

With the neck removed from the body, I clamped it to the top of one of my work benches after I put one full turn on the truss rod nut and waited a day before I checked the situation. Inspection of the fret heights using a carpenter's level that I acquired many years ago revealed that the issue was NOT the fingerboard but was a function of fret heights. That issue I can deal with.

After 36hrs. of labor where I leveled; recrowned and mirror polished the frets, the neck was pristine and dead-nuts fixed! I also paid much attention to the fret ends as I discovered in the past that that issue is often overlooked and IMHO, that is a !FAIL! :shock: , everytime. A guitar which is setup correctly will enable the player a huge degree of comfort while playing. That tends to lead to new horizons for those who can use the instrument to create compelling melodies.

So, that's my long - of - the - short answer! I hope to be able to help others who discover that they are stumped by some negative issues that crop up and seem overwhelming. Time shall tell, as usual. :roll:

Bish
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by Bish » July 3rd, 2018, 9:11 am

Welcome to Guitar Noise.
Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"