Reintroduction from Portland, Oregon.

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.
planetluvver

Reintroduction from Portland, Oregon.

Post by planetluvver » August 31st, 2016, 12:30 pm

I have been away from this forum and practicing guitar for three years. I will be starting over from scratch. I no longer have my nylon string guitar, so I will be picking up my acoustic guitar, which I typically have avoided playing due to finger pain.

I tend to listen to mostly older music on CDs, so I am way out of date. I listen to just about any genre except jazz. My favorite genre is folk. Specifically, I am most interested in sea songs and shanties.

oldstrummer

Re: Reintroduction from Portland, Oregon.

Post by oldstrummer » August 31st, 2016, 2:02 pm

Welcome, planetluvver! This site isn't as busy as others I've been to, so I'm hoping the newcomers (or "re-newcomers" such as yourself) can help liven it up.

Finger pain is a not-unusual experience for those who aren't practicing with regularity. Since I returned to the guitar after a long layoff, I had no calluses, so my early practices lasted only a short while. Within three weeks, roughly, my calluses have returned, and I find I can play longer.

I'm not John Lennon ("I've got blisters on my fingers!") so I don't play until my fingers bleed. But I do try to practice every day. Some days it's only for 5-15 minutes. Other days I can go for several hours. But I try not to miss a day. I've become so dedicated to that prospect that I went and bought a travel/practice guitar. Last week I went on a business trip, and every night in my hotel room I spent time practicing.

So, keep it up, planetluvver. Practice only until it starts to become uncomfortable. Or less. But practice! Make it a point. Put it on your calendar, if you must. Set aside a time each if it helps. Find a practice room/area where you can devote your attention to playing without distraction. And soon, you'll be there!
Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

Bish
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: Reintroduction from Portland, Oregon.

Post by Bish » July 3rd, 2018, 9:33 am

Welcome to Guitar Noise.
Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"