Jamplay.com Holiday Special

Welcome to the forums!

Greetings

New to guitar or just new to Guitarnoise? Say hello here. Where are you? What are you playing, acoustic, electric or both? How long have you been playing? What styles do you like to play?
On topic posts only please.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby vet_ca » May 25th, 2012, 11:31 am

Hello everyone, my name is vet_ca. I live in the frozen north of North America. I've recently turned 64 years old and have been playing guitar since I was 16. I started with a nylon string guitar (still have it) and shortly thereafter purchased an old Eko 12 string. Retaining both guitars I bought a Martin D-18. I took classical guitar lessons with the old nylon string (for about 1 year) then before moving to Canada I purchased a Guild J 45 rosewood. The last guitar I purchased from eBay was an anchor...yep...1978 Fender strat (I "hot-rodded" it's neck when I worked in a guitar luthier's shop). So 5 guitars and 48 years later I'm still trying to figure the thing out. I picked up finger picking early and have never left that style of playing. I use a pick only rarely and am reasonable proficient with the thing. Stuff I like to play...James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet, Beatles, Peter, Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, Judy Collins/Leonard Cohen, Donovan, CS&N/CSN&Y, Niel Young, Mason Williams, and a bunch of old standards.

I wrote, played and sang for many years. There were times when I couldn't put a guitar down. Conversely, there were times (years on end some time) when I never touched one. I'm coming out of one of those "down" times now. I'm finding I have a difficult time remembering the words and even the chord changes and little arpeggios. I'm also finding that I know absolutely nothing about this wonderful instrument. Seems like I have to start at the beginning...mapping the fretboard, learning scales and modes (nuts...just when my memory's starting to flag). However, I am determined!

Well I hope that's given you a little insight into me. If you have any questions I guess you can always pm me.

Thanks for having me here and a hearty cheers to one and all,
vet_ca :D
vet_ca

Postby Cat » May 25th, 2012, 1:54 pm

On behalf of the MANY over-60's...welcome, matey!

Cat
"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"
Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen