Singing Exercises

Think you can't sing? Think again. Can you hum or sing the pitches as you tune your guitar? Can you sing along with your car radio? You can? Great! Now we know you can sing. It's good to get that out of the way. Come on in and wail away.
green5

Singing Exercises

Post by green5 » July 5th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Hello All - I am new to joining this site; however I have been reading the forums for a while now, and have found that the information provided is useful.

I am new to the singing community as well, music has always been a passion of mine, but I have never pursued it in the past. I have just recently started taking singing lesson. I am enjoying them so far, and am very thankful for the help I have received learning proper breathing techniques. I have notice a difference in my voice since I started my lessons a couple months ago. My teacher has gone over many other exercises with me as well to help expand my range.

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for more singing exercises that I can find online to practice while at home to expand my range and help me to become a better singer overall? Also any little tips you have for me while I am just beginning to learn how to properly sing.

Guitar2320

Re: Singing Exercises

Post by Guitar2320 » July 17th, 2011, 5:51 pm

I've been using youtube for a lot of good singing exercises,
check out eric arceneaux, rockthestagenyc (or something like that) and brett manning singing success
these three personally have helped me a lot

green5

Post by green5 » July 19th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Thanks for the info! I will check them out on youtube.

Lately I have found that I am letting out too much air when singing a single note. I find that I am inhaling a good amount of air, but exhaling too much while singing. My teacher has given me many different exercises to work on breathing but I havent found that any of them help with exhaling.

I am also trying to work on the transition from a really high note to a low note and find that harder than going from a low note to a high note. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

grendle7

Post by grendle7 » October 25th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Going from a low note to a high note (pending on what you mean by "high) is tough. <--That type of stuff just takes time and practice.

Singing sirens tends to help with that crazy transition. Ask your vocal instructor about sirens....

About your breathing....breathe through a straw.

Take a straw, put it in your mouth, and breathe through it. I think that it should give you a feel of how much should be allowed to leave, as you sing.

sunnibear

Post by sunnibear » November 18th, 2011, 11:43 am

green5 wrote:Hello All - I am new to joining this site; however I have been reading the forums for a while now, and have found that the information provided is useful.

I am new to the singing community as well, music has always been a passion of mine, but I have never pursued it in the past. I have just recently started taking singing lesson. I am enjoying them so far, and am very thankful for the help I have received learning proper breathing techniques. I have notice a difference in my voice since I started my lessons a couple months ago. My teacher has gone over many other exercises with me as well to help expand my range.

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for more singing exercises that I can find online to practice while at home to expand my range and help me to become a better singer overall? Also any little tips you have for me while I am just beginning to learn how to properly sing.
As boring as singing exercises may be, they are especially vital if you are persuing a singing career. I am just learning to sing. I haved studied other instruments over many years and sick over the fact I couldn't sing to save my life. That is finally changing after a few lessons from probablty the best singing coach on the planet. I think you will find both links of interest to you. Let me know what you think! http://ezinearticles.com/?Singing-Exerc ... id=6681982
http://cybervoicestudio.com/