Tenor or Baritone

Think you can't sing? Think again. Can you hum or sing the pitches as you tune your guitar? Can you sing along with your car radio? You can? Great! Now we know you can sing. It's good to get that out of the way. Come on in and wail away.
Cammy511

Tenor or Baritone

Post by Cammy511 » February 5th, 2011, 9:50 pm

I you would technically classify my voice as Baritone but I have no trouble and feel quite comfortable singing in the Tenor range even some music such as RUSH or queen I can pull off without a huge amount of difficulty, so am I Low Tenor then ? It also sounds fine according to my friends.

Tim_Madsen

Re: Tenor or Baritone

Post by Tim_Madsen » February 14th, 2011, 11:09 am

How high above middle C can you get? Tenors range is one octave below middle C to the A above middle C. On solo work Tenors can get as high as high C. Most men are Baritones. Think James Taylor, he's a Baritone.
Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

bemusical

Post by bemusical » May 10th, 2011, 6:06 am

it's very possible for a baritone to extend his range into Tenor territory with practice. i'm not too sure, but i think your vocal type tells you more about where your most comfortable range is, rather than the extremes of your range. i've heard if a baritone and tenor tried singing the same note, perhaps an A above middle C, the tenor will have a much brighter sound than the baritone.

i'm guessing that's 'cause that same note would be a lot closer to a tenor's chest voice range than a baritone's (head voice generally have a lighter quality to it).

i mean, i know i'm a baritone, and i even have a low speaking voice, but i can sing the A above middle C no problem -- though it sounds nothing like the A4 my Tenor friend sings. :lol: perhaps it's somewhat the same for you?
"Music is a hearing art." David Lucas Burge

A newbie to music? Just started learning to sing or play the guitar (or keyboard)? Drop by my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/tuningmylifearound and say hi!^_^

grendle7

Post by grendle7 » October 25th, 2011, 9:13 pm

If you can sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" without difficulty, I'd instinctively say that you're a tenor. That song was kind of made for a tenor....Most Queen songs are full on tenor songs.