Jamplay.com Holiday Special

Welcome to the forums!

Sturdy slides?

Y'all come on in and sit a spell. All things Slide and alternate tuning. Celtic, country...whatever. Get your fill of DADGAD, open G and whatever tickles your fancy. Strictly on topic please.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby Crow » July 8th, 2010, 2:36 pm

I like to keep a slide handy wherever I am, just in case a tasty guitar happens to appear in front of me. (This happens rarely, but I like to be prepared.) Most of the time, I carry my Number One slide, a bottleneck I cut myself, in a PolyFleece bag. But that's a glass slide, and I have destroyed at least one perfectly crafted bottle-glass slide while walking around with it (utter stupidity on my part). If I destroyed this particular bottleneck... I would be in bad shape.

I have lots of options for my "carry slide": chromed steel (a couple of socket wrenches, very heavy but beautiful-sounding), ceramic (a cheap blue-glazed commercial thing, roughly the same weight and texture as my Number One), and glass (including a vintage medicine bottle -- a heavy, gnarly slide, not quite as heavy as Number One, but very close in tone). My question is: Which of these (apart from the socket wrenches) is the most sturdy and break-proof? Is bottle glass my sturdiest option? Should I settle for a socket wrench? (Far better in case of bar brawls, but GOD they are heavy.) Are vintage med-bottles durable?

Any thoughts are welcome.
"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa
Crow

Postby Vic Lewis VL » July 8th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Hmmm - seems like you're better prepared than I am; although I always a slide with me when I'm playing guitar, or taking a guitar anywhere, I don't carry one around on the off-chance....

If I did though, it'd probably be a light chrome steel slide or a perspex slide - the perspex one, in particular, is as light as a feather. Might be too light for your needs, though - sounds like you favour a heavy slide, in which case the chrome steel might be a good option.

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Postby kent_eh » September 16th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Have you tried a piece of copper pipe?

Wander down the plumbing aisle the next time you are near a hardware store, and buy a short chunk of whatever is the right diameter for your finger.
Durable and cheap. If the sound is to your liking.
I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep
kent_eh
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby greybeard » September 16th, 2010, 9:56 pm

You might want to consider the Jet slide - there's a review here on GN, somewhere.

Edit:

Here....
I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN
greybeard
Guitari Lama