Welcome to the forums!

DADGAD tabs? (Treetop Flyer)

Y'all come on in and sit a spell. All things Slide and alternate tuning. Celtic, country...whatever. Get your fill of DADGAD, open G and whatever tickles your fancy. Strictly on topic please.

Moderator: The GN support team


Postby Dustdevil » July 10th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Have been experimenting with DADGAD lately. I love the droning quality of this tuning.

Does anybody have a more complete tab (or Powertab) of "Treetop Flyer" by Steven Stills? All I have is a tab of the intro and chords with instructions to "Use Travis style picking throughout".

BTW, "Man of Constant Sorrow" in this tuning is easy to play, and sounds great even without the embellishments. I highly recommend looking at it.

Anything else out there that a Beg./Int. should look at before I go back to standard tuning? I'm really not that interested in Celtic jigs and waltzes. Something along the lines of "Treetop Flyer". Anyone here ever write something?

Thanks.

John A.
Midland, TX
User avatar
Dustdevil
Junior Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: May 10th, 2005, 12:20 pm
Location: Midland, TX

Postby Ricochet » July 10th, 2005, 3:44 pm

Being mainly a slider, I've never done much with DADGAD. But if you hunt around fingerpicking sites, you'll find all kinds of ideas for it. It's hardly limited to Celtic stuff.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
User avatar
Ricochet
Guitari Lama
 
Posts: 8056
Joined: July 20th, 2003, 4:48 pm
Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA

Postby art&lutherie » July 10th, 2005, 8:05 pm

Dustdevil wrote:Have been experimenting with DADGAD lately. I love the droning quality of this tuning.

Does anybody have a more complete tab (or Powertab) of "Treetop Flyer" by Steven Stills? All I have is a tab of the intro and chords with instructions to "Use Travis style picking throughout".

BTW, "Man of Constant Sorrow" in this tuning is easy to play, and sounds great even without the embellishments. I highly recommend looking at it.

Anything else out there that a Beg./Int. should look at before I go back to standard tuning? I'm really not that interested in Celtic jigs and waltzes. Something along the lines of "Treetop Flyer". Anyone here ever write something?

Thanks.

John A.
Midland, TX



Where did you get your tabs for these?
Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom
art&lutherie
Guitarnoise Denizen
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: July 15th, 2004, 7:44 pm

Postby Vic Lewis VL » July 10th, 2005, 8:18 pm

Dustdevil, there's a tab of "Treetop Flyer" here...

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=9999

but it sounds pretty similar to the one you've got....

RE...Man of Constant Sorrow....can you post the link to the tab you've got?

:D :D :D

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)
User avatar
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord
 
Posts: 10839
Joined: April 28th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Location: Newton-le-Willows, England

Postby Dustdevil » July 11th, 2005, 9:57 am

Unfortunately, not much new to contribute here. My tab is from a link posted by Teleplayer324 in the easy song database forum.

http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/s/soggy_bo ... -tab.shtml

There is a powertab version out there but I can't tell if it's in DADGAD or not. (Appears not)

The guy who wrote the tab at the above link is right. It just doesn't sound the same unless you use DADGAD. It also makes the fingering very simple.

Keep in mind I'm only a beginner, so what sounds good for me probably doesn't cut it with most of you guys, but what I do is take the chords, vary my rhythm, and do a lot of partial chord strumming or the bottom 4 or 5 strings. This gets me something that approximates the harder driving, strummier track 5 on the "O Brother" album vs. the more delicate band version.

The above tab does include Travis-style picking for those of you who can do it well. It's well worth a try...

The Treetop Flyer link is what I have. I was just curious to see how the transitions between the chords worked in Travis-style picking in DADGAD for this song. It's a bit beyond my ability at this point, but it would be a great challenge to see how far I could get. Besides, everyone needs one song that nobody else can play. Not too many "Treetop Flyer's" out here because of the weird tuning.

John A.
Midland, TX
User avatar
Dustdevil
Junior Member
 
Posts: 98
Joined: May 10th, 2005, 12:20 pm
Location: Midland, TX

Postby Steve-0 » July 13th, 2005, 10:41 am

I believe Jimmy Page played White Summer and Black Mountain side in DADGAD tuning... definitely not for a beginner though, but I think there's some licks and riffs that are worth checking out.
Steve-0
User avatar
Steve-0
Guitarnoise Denizen
 
Posts: 1242
Joined: December 30th, 2003, 12:50 pm
Location: Canada

Postby fantasticsound » July 14th, 2005, 1:09 pm

Hey Mr. Ricochet! Hadn't heard from you in a while before your post about this forum. Good to hear from you again. But enough catching up...

Anyone here like Kenny Loggins or Paul Simon?

I worked up the Loggins version of PS's St. Judy's Comet from the Return To Pooh Corner album right after it was released. It's relatively easy and played in DADGAD. Neat lullabye to sing to your kids. Personally, I like it a lot better as Kenny did it than Paul Simon, even though I'm a huge fan of Paul's.

I'll be glad to set it to virtual paper if anyone wants to learn it.[/b]
That's my opinion. It oughta be yours.
fantasticsound
newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:12 am

Postby Ricochet » July 14th, 2005, 4:15 pm

Hey, fantasticsound, welcome!

I like 'em both, of course. Bet lots of folks'd like to see how you play those.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
User avatar
Ricochet
Guitari Lama
 
Posts: 8056
Joined: July 20th, 2003, 4:48 pm
Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA

Postby Humvee » October 5th, 2008, 5:25 pm

More Songs in DADGAD:
Medley (4 Way Street Album, by Neil Young) (The Loner, Cinnamon Girl, Down By the River)
Black Queen (Another Stephen Stills song also on 4 Way Street)

You can easily find these tabs by googleing them.
Humvee
newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: October 5th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Postby tinsmith » October 6th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I think Neil does some of those in double drop D
User avatar
tinsmith
Senior Member
 
Posts: 824
Joined: February 19th, 2005, 8:14 pm
Location: Southern Maine, USA

Postby fantasticsound » November 19th, 2009, 9:46 pm

tinsmith wrote:I think Neil does some of those in double drop D


Neil Young... Not me. ;-)
That's my opinion. It oughta be yours.
fantasticsound
newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:12 am

Postby jwindol » January 18th, 2010, 5:30 pm

That's probably about as good a tab as you're gonna find for TTF around but you gotta understand Stills don't play it twice the same way. Sometimes in DADDAD sometimes DADGAD. Sometimes open D. If you want to see something interesting, pull up Pierre Bensusan and check out some of his music. He's considered the master of DADGAD and some even call it Bensusan tuning. But, Yes Jimmy page liked it a lot. Did a lot of work with it. Sungha Hwa ( I think) is a real pro with it at eleven years old. But it's real Julliard egghead stuff, A real impressor and not that difficult to learn. Google up a chord chart if you want.
jwindol
newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: January 18th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Postby srodell » March 24th, 2011, 5:16 pm

fantasticsound wrote:Hey Mr. Ricochet! Hadn't heard from you in a while before your post about this forum. Good to hear from you again. But enough catching up...

Anyone here like Kenny Loggins or Paul Simon?

I worked up the Loggins version of PS's St. Judy's Comet from the Return To Pooh Corner album right after it was released. It's relatively easy and played in DADGAD. Neat lullabye to sing to your kids. Personally, I like it a lot better as Kenny did it than Paul Simon, even though I'm a huge fan of Paul's.

I'll be glad to set it to virtual paper if anyone wants to learn it.[/b]


I'd really like to see how you played the Kenny Loggins version of St. Judy's comet.. A great favorite of mine.
Can you send a tab over.? Thanks.. Steve
srodell
newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: March 24th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Postby jrf008 » March 30th, 2011, 7:38 pm

I'd love a copy of the tab for Kenny Loggins St. Judy's comet. Could you send it my way too?
jrf008
newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: March 30th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Postby Gergamo » June 21st, 2012, 11:15 am

I too would love to see the tablature for Kenny Loggin's St. Judy's Comet!
Gergamo
newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 11:08 am

Next