"BAND IN A BOX"

Are you looking for someone to jam? Do you have AIM or MSN or YIM? Would you like to collaborate online? Are you just looking for something to do with the microphone attached to your PC? Post here.
GuitarAlex

"BAND IN A BOX"

Post by GuitarAlex » April 21st, 2005, 9:25 am

I have recently acquired this weird program that has the capability of making jam tracks in a million of different styles. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Also, if I convert one into mp3 with Audacity, or whatever, I would like to start another jam.

Perhaps people could suggest a style that I should pick for the new jam (i.e. what people are interested in doing... apparently the program can create tracks in styles ranging from punk to zydeco, although the distortion/overdrive simulation is midi-like lame). Open to discussion here......jazz, rock, blues, w/ever.

Laz
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by Laz » April 21st, 2005, 10:19 am

Band in a Box is weird indeed, yet sorta cool too. I've been trying to create backing tracks and then add specific melodies over the chord patterns, but I haven't put enough time into it yet.

Let me/us know how you like it after a while.

-Laz

GuitarAlex

Post by GuitarAlex » April 21st, 2005, 11:12 am

Well..... the program "Band in a Box" is extremely versatile. If you need someone to jam with but don't know anyone who plays an instrument, or if you are completely socially inept, agoraphobic, etc, or if you just like to screw around with musical software, this is the gadget for you.

First, this thing can create backing tracks in a million of styles, with multiple instruments, ranging from cowbell, to distorted guitar, to electric organ, to even weird things like raygun, wound string squeak (you know, that sound when you change chords sloppily), etc.

Also, this thing will make up solo's in style of various famous musicians, e.g. SRV, Joe Pass, Django, Van Halen, etc., over the chords that you put into it. I am not sure what the purpose of this function is. I suppose you could use it for phrasing ideas.

It has a pretty good ear trainer, for chords, notes, and intervals.

It has lotsa other features too, that I haven't tried. Basically, it's a very good jam partner.

Sound Quality: It uses mostly MIDI, so many of the sounds are synthy and pretty lame. This mostly applies to distorted guitar sounds, which don't really have any "meat" as you would expect. Kind of like the backing tracks on wholenote.com. The bass, keyboard, piano, brass, and acoustic string sounds are pretty good though.

Anyway, I am going to pick a backing track in the next couple of days, and announce a new jam. I am thinking it will be a funky blues/rock/fusion type of thing. All who are interested, let me know. I can do the editing and stuff, but that would take me until the second week of may, or so, so if anyone wants to help, let me know.

GuitarAlex

Post by GuitarAlex » April 22nd, 2005, 12:21 am

i've got the track saved in mp3. How do I post it?

In the meantime, I had Band in a Box generate a title for it (another function, useless but fun), and it is Unexpected Revenge. It's a 12 bar minor blues progression, with a (VI)m at second bar. There's room for either 8 or 4 parts (i.e. one progression per part, or two). One's too short, so it's two progressions per person, so each part is approximately 50 seconds.

Again..........

Part I: Open
Part II: Open
Part III: Open
Part IV: Open

GuitarAlex

OPEN JAM #?

Post by GuitarAlex » April 22nd, 2005, 9:26 am

I feel so alone in this thread....... :(

Anyway, as soon as I figure out how to post something to guitars101.com, I'll post a link here for the jam track. Most likely tonight.

Laz
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: OPEN JAM #?

Post by Laz » April 22nd, 2005, 9:57 am

apechen wrote:I feel so alone in this thread....... :(

Anyway, as soon as I figure out how to post something to guitars101.com, I'll post a link here for the jam track. Most likely tonight.
When you've got it posted, I'd start a new thread inviting players to your jam. The public title of this thread is still "Band in a Box".

Be sure to read all the threads by nroberts below. He's got it figured out.

-Laz

GuitarAlex

Post by GuitarAlex » April 22nd, 2005, 10:10 am

Be sure to read all the threads by nroberts below. He's got it figured out.
I know he does. I pm'ed him. I also remember reading a long post where he explains everything, but now I can't find it.

GuitarAlex

Post by GuitarAlex » April 24th, 2005, 8:31 am

OK, the link to the backing track is here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/duluozmusic.htm

You might not be able to download it until tomorrow -- apparently soundclick has some kind of a clearing period for new uploads.

LAZ --- should I start a new thread with this?

nroberts

Post by nroberts » April 24th, 2005, 9:23 am

apechen wrote: You might not be able to download it until tomorrow -- apparently soundclick has some kind of a clearing period for new uploads.
Just new bands actually. The first track you upload does that; future ones won't

GuitarAlex

Post by GuitarAlex » April 24th, 2005, 10:09 am

JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS (HENCE, ALL CAPS) i'VE MOVED THIS THREAD INTO THE NEW OPEN JAM THREAD. GO THERE TO SIGN UP, ETC. THIS THREAD IS OVER, OTHER THAN FOR BAND IN A BOX STUFF, AS FAR AS I CAN SEE.