wasted forum

Are you looking for someone to jam? Do you have AIM or MSN or YIM? Would you like to collaborate online? Are you just looking for something to do with the microphone attached to your PC? Post here.
gnease
Musically Insane

Post by gnease » December 7th, 2004, 10:51 am

Yeah ... a round robin is a good idea. If people are brave enough to submit base tracks for group work, this can be a lot of fun. It's more satisfying than playing over jam tracks. In some cases, the originator may find others can provide interesting stylistic turns never before considered. It will also give newer players a chance to experience collaboration and studio-type processes. Contributions could range from arranging to performance additions (vocals, percussion, fills, leads, other instruments) to mixing/production.

A few ground rules might be necessary to establish ownership and creative control -- these should probably go to the originator(s)/writer(s). It would be great to see some finished product permanently linked to GN.

I could get into supporting this.

cooker
Location: my body is in upstate New York,my mind is usually somewhere else

jam

Post by cooker » January 7th, 2005, 11:41 am

Boy this would be great if we could get it to work in some form or another...Let`s see... logistically speaking the net as a live jam connection seems unable at least for the time being to support playing together at the same time for the reasons mikey mentioned...but ...I could deal with a "tracking session" type of thing using pc`s and the net to swap files....(assuming certain things of course) ....
we would have to find out who has recording/tracking capabilities that are compatible with .wav type files..IE: if I have a recorder that inports/exports wave files from a pc...alot of folks can make copies of thier parts and send them along to the group or the person who has the recorder..this would have to be organized so as not overload the recording people..members would pick A song/group/jam genre 1 at a time....recording people would then "track" the file by import and then export the next phase back....Hmmm...an example..bob in norway wants in on this so he picks from the list of genre..blues...(we would need to know members instument capabilities also) (we could have preset backing tracks to choose from ...)or I`m sure there are some drummers/bass players out there...anywho...bob plays his blues..sends to a tracker and he posts it..people who want to jam pick a part to play and make a file to post/track ...the recording person just keeps mixing and reposting....seems a bit involved...but just food for thought...what does everybody/anybody else think?
You can sleep when you`re dead!
"and baby all you need...is just a little more love"

smokindog
Musically Insane

Post by smokindog » January 12th, 2005, 5:59 am

This is cool, but some kind of tutorial will be needed for us old guys LOL.
The idea is brilliant and I would love to do this, I can see this taking GN to a new dimension. 8) 8) -the dog

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » January 26th, 2005, 2:07 pm

To get Netmeeting to work who ever the host is they have to have the url addresses of everyone's computer put into netmeeting.

Not sure if URL is the correct term but its like 150.2.4.121, But this is for the video portion for evryone to see.

When I use Netmeeting at work we don't do the audio on line that's done via a central dial in number. But this is for the video portion for everyone to see.

I don't know how to get the audio from the computer while your in Netmeeting

nroberts

Post by nroberts » January 26th, 2005, 3:35 pm

cnev wrote: Not sure if URL is the correct term but its like 150.2.4.121, But this is for the video portion for evryone to see.
The correct term is IP address for your future vocab. :wink:

However, chances are that a URL would work in that same field...don't know the software. Usually something that accepts URL's will accept IP addresses when there is no registered URL.

URL is something like "www.guitarnoise.com".

GuitarAlex

Post by GuitarAlex » May 4th, 2005, 1:01 pm

This just came to me.....

Since video, IMO, is less important for jamming than audio, i wonder if it would be possible to do a web-conference call. It could work, as long as the number of participants is not too huge, and everyone has a half-decent mic to hook up to the computer, that they could mic there amp with. Conceivably, you could still play some BT in the background, since most would be guitarists wishing to solo.

Also, maybe we should venture into the bass areas of this site, to get some bassists to collaborate.

cnev
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by cnev » May 4th, 2005, 1:18 pm

Not sure if it would work that great either since there is a slight delay sending the signals across long distances.

You'd really need to have your phone audio somehow plugged into a stereo or something loud enough to jam to.

Shibby

Post by Shibby » May 5th, 2005, 5:27 am

If video games can be played in real time over the internet then you have to be able to jam in real time. The data that would be getting shuffled around seems a lot smaller in the jam situation. Maybe someone just needs to develop an application that can do such a thing.

Shibby

nroberts

Post by nroberts » May 5th, 2005, 7:52 am

Shibby wrote:If video games can be played in real time over the internet then you have to be able to jam in real time. The data that would be getting shuffled around seems a lot smaller in the jam situation. Maybe someone just needs to develop an application that can do such a thing.

Shibby
I really doubt it is smaller. They aren't transfering the whole drawing of what you see. All that is translated is some coordinates. What and who are where and what are they pointing at? There is certainly a lot of data, but I really doubt it is as much as audio. Besides, there is still a lot of lag in these systems sometimes. Haven't you ever shot the hell out of someone and think they have to be dead only to see them dissapear and reappear behind you shooting the poop out of you? I know I have and it really pisses a dude off.

Laz
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by Laz » May 5th, 2005, 7:56 am

Shibby wrote:If video games can be played in real time over the internet then you have to be able to jam in real time. The data that would be getting shuffled around seems a lot smaller in the jam situation. Maybe someone just needs to develop an application that can do such a thing.

Shibby
Um, not quite. All that is sent over the internet is text and coordinates, the local application does all the work (and those apps are huge!), and there is no requirement to stay perfectly in sync with other users, just not to fall too far behind.

Consider the issues with Internet Phones (VoIP), they have serious problems with drops and stutters, and that's only one signal at low fidelity.

Or consider downloaded video, which must be buffered and managed carefully.

So connecting 3 or 4 musicians in different locations and sharing the music around in real-time is an enormous task. Even on the best days, it takes 10s of milliseconds for data packets to get from here to there, which is way too long for realtime music.

Sorry guys, it's still a long way off.

-Laz

GuitarAlex

Post by GuitarAlex » May 5th, 2005, 3:06 pm

Argh.

nroberts

Post by nroberts » May 5th, 2005, 8:21 pm

GuitarAlex wrote:
Argh.
Well, in industry terms that means a couple weeks or something :mrgreen: