Jamplay.com Holiday Special

Welcome to the forums!

Slightly-classicalish guitar piece

Post your links to your own recordings here if you'd like some feedback. Please keep it clean or let us know ahead of time a parental advisory is in effect. This forum is for your own recordings. Do not post links to copyrighted material or commercial MP3s.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby hummerlein » November 1st, 2005, 10:31 pm

Hey, I am in the middle of recording this piece so it's not done yet. I probably will have a finished version up in a few days. I just wanted to know what people thought (good/bad) and if anybody had any ideas for a name? Totally clueless right now as far as naming it goes.

http://gforti.homestead.com/files/gmixfindone.mp3

PS. Excuse my playing, only been playing for about 1.5 yrs :oops:
Last edited by hummerlein on November 3rd, 2005, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hummerlein

Postby smokindog » November 2nd, 2005, 3:01 am

Thats very good :D Nice mood, you play very well, keep it up and post often :D Thanks for posting that.--the dog
smokindog
Musically Insane

Postby hummerlein » November 3rd, 2005, 7:54 pm

Hey thanks smokindog! Kind words :)

I just got the finished recording up, although my tempos are a little weird in places. I composed this right at or slightly above my skills at guitar so it's pretty challenging for me to play.

Anyone else have comments or parts they liked or didn't like?

http://gforti.homestead.com/files/gmixfindone.mp3
hummerlein

Postby Mike » November 3rd, 2005, 8:20 pm

I thought it sounded good, but you could add some chord stums in there to give it some more dynamics.

It sounded like an all out finger pickin' instrumental with mostly verses and without a chorus, but you can't go wrong with drama and excitement i.e. dynamics.

And yes, I know what you were aiming for, but even a quick strum thrown in here and there will give it more life.

Don't get me wrong though, you did a great job, but my idea was just a thought............. Mix it up a little..........add more life to it..............stum....finger pick.....finger pick...... stum strum strum......finger pick etc..........

Just a thought and the thought process doesn't include a major change, just stum some of the chords before you pick'em.

I hope that made sense!
Mike
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Taso » November 3rd, 2005, 8:53 pm

Hummerlein,
It's beautiful, really. Not very complex, but it sounds great. Like smokindog said, you play it very well, and nice mood. It's very relaxing.

I'm not sure I agree with Tracker about the strumming idea, however, I'd love to hear how it would sound, because maybe I'm just not thinking of it correctly. It would add a little more diversity though, not that this peice is really lacking in that area, I think it actually sounds diverse enough.

I think you need a clear ending though, not sure how, maybe end on a chord, I don't know, that's up to you of course.

Overall: Very good, beautiful song.

Welcome to guitar noise (I havn't seen you around before, even though you have quite a few posts), looking forward to hearing more of your music hummerlein.

Taso
Taso
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby Ignar Hillström » November 4th, 2005, 6:36 am

Hey, cool stuff indeed. Almost the kind of music you'd expect to be played on a lute. Apart from the tips above you might want to take a look at the length of each note, right now thats pretty constant. If you could mix half, quarter and eight notes up a bit more you could make it even more interesting. It's no big deal right now since it is a relative short piece but if you're going to continue with it (and I hope you do!) then you might want to take a look at it. It doesn't even have to be harder to play, you can keep the same piece and just remove a few notes. Anyway, it all depends on what you want yourself. It's more a matter of taste then objective quality so do as you yourself please. Really darn impressive already, even more so considering you haven't been playing that long yet. Keep up the work!
Click here for FREE, limited one-time only offer!
Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Postby Nils » November 4th, 2005, 6:40 am

Sounds nice. Flows very nicely and is very relaxing to listen to. Your timing seems pretty good so keep up the good work.
Nils
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby hummerlein » November 4th, 2005, 8:20 am

Thanks for the comments, all. I tried doing the strumming thing you were talking about Tracker but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. The song is in 6/8 so it either messes up the timing or drowns out the melody. I don't think I'm thinking of it the way you meant.

I was thinking of adding a little strumming at the end, which might fill that out a bit more and make it more clear (although I do already end on a chord. It's kind of quiet though :))

Hmm I hadn't really thought of adding more parts to the piece but maybe I will flesh it out some more. I'm at that stage where I have something good and I feel like if I change it it might get really bad :P
hummerlein

Postby Ignar Hillström » November 4th, 2005, 9:21 am

Who cares, if the new part sucks you can always delete it. Nothing you do can't be undone and all of that. As far as strumming, maybe do a overdub so you can focuss on where and how you want to insert those strums while having full control over how it sounds in the mix. Easier to play, more control, better results: what more can you ask for? ;)
Click here for FREE, limited one-time only offer!
Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Postby Alan Green » November 7th, 2005, 3:00 pm

Hiya,

It's very good, with a nice emotional wave. No ideawhat to call it but it's worth working on until it's polished.

Best,

A :-)
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk
Alan Green
Guitari Lama