Yamaha APX500 - Electronics improval advice

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.
DjangoMango

Yamaha APX500 - Electronics improval advice

Post by DjangoMango » March 7th, 2018, 9:09 am

Hey there!

First time poster on this site, so as I said when I lost my virginity - “I’m sorry if I’m doing this wrong.”
Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to help out 😊

So, I own a Yamaha APX500 electro-acoustic guitar. Not a stunning guitar I guess but it has sentimental value and I dig it. Except the electrics on it sound pretty lame and quacky and I want to spruce them up a bit. I’ve been playing a long time but I’m kind of a lazy novice when it comes to the technical side of things so I was hoping for a bit of help on this from kind souls with bigger brains than me.

Question: I’m looking for something more natural sounding for the Yamaha that I can control at open mics/live events as oppose to mic-ing the thing up. Doesn’t have to be the bee’s knees. I was thinking maybe an under-saddle pick up of some kind? Piezo pickup? I don't really know what I'm talking about but I've heard those words...The guitar has a battery powered pre-amp, I’m not sure if that could be of use…
As I said, I suck with this stuff - Can anyone suggest anything?

Many thanks 😊
(P.S. Please don’t suggest buying another guitar 😊!)