Welcome to the forums!

Wood burning/engraving guitars?

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby Maliciant » March 7th, 2007, 8:28 am

Another post got me thinking, it would be nice to customize the look of my guitar a bit, one of those butterscotch blonde types. I can't help but think that using a wood burner to engrave some images would look totally sweet, of course I haven't thought about it long enough to know what I'd want on there, but is there places that do this kind of thing regularly? It probably makes more sense to buy an unfinished body and do the engraving, and then finish it the same. This is more theory as I'm not likely to spend the money on something cosmetic (unless of course I was makin some bank off playin the thing...). Anyone know much about this, costs, any sites covering how to do this?
Maliciant

Postby WideAwake » March 7th, 2007, 5:14 pm

Tom Morello set his guitar on fire, looks so sweet.

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.
WideAwake

Postby fluid » March 8th, 2007, 3:59 pm

well, buying unfinished guitar bodies isn't that tough, and a simple wood burning kit really doesn't cost much so if you've got a steady hand, I'd do it that way. If your hand is less steady and you have access to an overhead projector then you could make the design on the computer and then project it onto the guitar, trace it out in pencil on the guitar and then go over the pencil marks with the burner. At that point it's just a simple matter of finishing the guitar...
fluid

Postby redneckrocker » March 8th, 2007, 5:05 pm

You know, I'd of never thought to do that but I bet it would look sweet. Especially for a tele.
~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon
redneckrocker

Postby Maliciant » March 8th, 2007, 5:45 pm

I might do this starting from an unfinished body some day and I'd likely have a specific design in mind at least generally, but I'd have a real artist come up with the final image (and someone experienced with wood engraving/burning do the actual work). Of course if I just decided I wanted to maybe sign the guitar or something really simple I could do that, but that'd only be cool if I was famous (and then I'm sure I'd have the money to get fancy with it so I'd go with plan A, come up with the concept and have people who are actually good at it, do the real work).
Maliciant

Postby WideAwake » March 12th, 2007, 5:11 pm

I'm thinking of burning my les paul like Tom has in the picture i posted further up in the thread, does anyone know if this will affect the sound of my guitar in anyway?
You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.
WideAwake

Postby Maliciant » March 12th, 2007, 7:26 pm

I'd say take the electronics out before you try that, and if you have a pick guard or any other plastic parts they'd need to be removed too, if your neck can easily be removed, and maybe even if it can't, you should remove that. I don't think the material used for the body of an electric guitar matters much so damage to it also isn't that big of a deal (in terms of sound), but you don't want the neck warped or the electronics etc to get messed up. Metal pieces like the bridge might also be best to remove (the heat/whatever you use to put the fire out probably won't be kind to the chrome finish or whatever you have)

Now to the possibly more practical advice, that guys face is on a magazine, he's probably got people who do things like burn his guitars for him, the point being, he probably has more money than you, and me, and setting 10 - 15 guitars on fire until one burns just right might not be too big a deal for him if it gets his face on a magazine, you setting your guitar on fire will probably only get your face on a magazine if you (while it's still on fire) beat some old nuns to death with it. The next thing is there might have been some prep work that went into getting that guitar to burn like that (removing some of the finish in advance so that it's possible to burn the colored parts of the guitar etc). And then the last and probably most important thing, almost nothing you see in a magazine picture is totally legit, it's like professionally recorded live music, the live part just means that they started with a recording of the band playing live, and cleaned it up so you get to hear some audience in the background, and the singer says some stuff between tracks etc, magazines tend to be airbrushed on a regular basis, look at the effects you see in movies (and keep in mind that your typical 14 year old graphics wiz on the computer is able to do those same things at home on his parents 4 year old computer), what can a magazine do with a single image (and this is the cover image, the most important image in the entire magazine)? I have my doubts about that specular light on his sunglasses being untouched for example... but I'm not an expert on those things.

In short, I think that what he did to his guitar is purely destructive, art was an accident and heck, in person that guitar might look pretty crappy, there is no telling looking at the cover of a magazine. If you paid for the guitar yourself (no parents help/gifting it to you) or if it's your only guitar, then absolutely don't do it, if someone else paid for it they'd be obligated to kill you, even if you got the result you were looking for, but that's my opinion, in the end it's your call what you do but I seriously think you'll regret doing it unless of course, you have money to burn too, in which case use that to get the fire nice and hot :p

(editted in cause I forgot, I do not think that this will affect the sound of your guitar so long as you remove pretty much everything from the body of your guitar before hand)
Maliciant

Postby dazed_and_confused » March 12th, 2007, 7:44 pm

FYIThat "guy" in the magezine, Tom Morello, had his guitar "burned" because it had a logo on it which he did not like. I believe the logo was for Budwieser. That particular burn job was successful (to an extent) on the first guitar tried.
dazed_and_confused

Postby Maliciant » March 12th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Anyone I don't know on a magazine is pretty much that guy, I'm real informal that way :p

I stand by my being destructive statement though, I'm pretty sure setting a guitar on fire isn't anywhere near the most obvious or easiest solutions for removing a logo, if the guitar had been utterly destroyed I doubt it would have been a significant loss to him, he's probably got rooms of his house dedicated to housing the guitars he probably doesn't play, any famous rock stars that want to set their guitars on fire for whatever reason a certainly welcome to do it, but the rest of us who have to buy guitars (cause no one is hoping to get us to endorse their product) and the equipment we do have represents a big investment it's most likely a bad idea.

I've been thinking about shaving my head, perhaps the best way to remove that unwanted hair is fire (just kidding, that wench britney shaved her head and now it's too late, if I shaved my head now I'd have to explain at least once that I didn't shave my head because of britney spears, or as I prefer to refer to her, that one guy on a magazine...)
Maliciant

Postby WideAwake » March 14th, 2007, 4:16 pm

This guitar, the new feature for Revelations was originally a Budweiser Logoed Gibson Les Paul that was left on their tour bus. Morello originally hated this guitar so he decided to set it on fire. It burned slowly, so when he decided it actually looked cool, he put out the fire then sanded it down with steel wool. He then put in DiMarzio Pickups and this is what he ended up with.

Pretty much the story behind the guitar. Sexy as hell though.

Oh and if you don't know who Tom Morello is I sugeest watching the god at work :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC4s1wlRwu0

The sky is a landfill.
WideAwake

Postby dazed_and_confused » March 14th, 2007, 5:07 pm

WideAwake wrote:
Oh and if you don't know who Tom Morello is I sugeest watching the god at work :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC4s1wlRwu0

i second that
American by birth, Texan by GRACE OF GOD

There are two kinds of people in this world... THose who live in Texas and those who wish they lived in Texas.
dazed_and_confused