Jamplay.com Holiday Special

Welcome to the forums!

What kind of adhesive do you use on a guitar bridge.

Need to know how to setup your guitar? How do you lower your action? How do you get rid of the Milli Vanilli stickers? Look here first.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby blutic1 » November 21st, 2004, 6:37 am

I have an old Gibson Classical guitar and the bridge fell off. What kind of glue should I use to stick it back on.
blutic1

Postby gnease » November 21st, 2004, 7:06 am

The original glue was very likely hide glue, which may be purchase from Stew-Mac. Hide glue is easily "undone" using heat and/or steam, should one make a mistake. These days, many use Titebond aliphatic resin glue (Original only, not type II). It's a little more difficult to separate for repairs, but is good stuff.

For a bridge reglue, you will need to remove all the old glue from both guitar and bridge, as well as make sure these still make good contact over the entire gluing surface. Make sure the top and bridge are not warped or bowed, and all internal braces are still intact. Also, given the bridge "fell" off, it is a good idea to check for other glue deterioration.

If this guitar is worth something (seems likely), you may wish to have a luthier do the repair.

Good luck -- Greg
gnease
Musically Insane

Postby Nick » November 21st, 2004, 8:08 am

You can make your own hide glue using unflavored gelatin mix from the supermarket, but you are probably better off going with titebond original.

Hide glue has the drawback that it sets like lightning.
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare
Nick
Administrator