Guitar and computer?

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
TaylorC

Guitar and computer?

Post by TaylorC » December 1st, 2003, 8:58 pm

Hi, I'm just wondering if any of you have advice for effects or software to get a professional guitar sound? I know how to hook up my guitar to my PC, but I want better sound quality. I tried Guitar FX 3, but it has some hideous feedback and gets really annoying many times. Any suggestions? I usually run my guitar thru my Marshall and to the line-in port on my PC.

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: Guitar and computer?

Post by hueseph » December 22nd, 2003, 10:49 pm

Sorry it took so long for an answer.

Key point regarding feedback: don't monitor while you're recording or if you do, monitor through a good set of headphones.

If you are using a standard sound card like a soundblaster, the A/D converters are pretty crappy. There isn't much headroom.  If you can afford to get a new card do it. M-Audio has some reasonably priced ones that are quite good in quality. It also might be necessary to go through a DI or a small mixer with instrument inserts for you to get decent levels without distortion. The other option which I prefer is to mic your amp with a decent dynamic like a Sure SM57 and go through a mixer into your sound card.