recording problem

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
Portia

recording problem

Post by Portia » December 20th, 2003, 2:28 pm

I've been having a problem with timing when recording in cool edit pro.  The first track is fine, but when I record further tracks like vocals, etc the timing gets off sortof like it's being stretched or something.  It will be fine at the start of the song, but as the song goes along, it gets more and more off.  At first I thought it was me, and that my timing was just that bad, but I've had other people listen while I'm recording and they say that the timing is right while I'm recording, but then when I play it back it's off.  Is this most likely a computer problem - like being to slow or not having enough memory or something - or a software problem?  and does anyone have any idea if there's anything I can do to fix it?  

:)Portia

forrok_star
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: recording problem

Post by forrok_star » December 20th, 2003, 5:05 pm

If you can supply a little more information on the computer.
CPU, amount of Ram installed, sound card, etc.

You could also try to adjust it in Cool edit.

joe

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: recording problem

Post by hueseph » December 21st, 2003, 4:36 pm

It could be a problem with latency. What sound card do you have? The most commonly recommended one is the SB Audigy ZS card, which according to the stats has a latency of 2ms. Howver, it could also be that the software has an issue with Windows XP/2000 I'm assuming you're using one of these OS's. Check with Syntrillium for an update. I'm hoping they still support it. As you may well know Adobe has taken over Syntrillium software and are marketing Cool Edit Pro as Adobe Audition.

Regarding soundcards. If you are going to shell out the money for an Audigy ZS card you may want to consider a pro quality card from M-Audio at about the same price. M-Audio Audiofile 24/96 I've seen these cards at about $200 cdn or $130. US.

On the other hand, if you don't want to spend the money on a new sound card and you have some tech-savvy you could consider downloading drivers from http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1  these drivers will solve latency problems but they can also require some messin' about to get them to work, although lately I haven't had any problems with it.