Simple Recording Device?

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
fretfumbler

Simple Recording Device?

Post by fretfumbler » December 5th, 2003, 12:01 pm

Hello everyone.

First, I gotta say how much help Guitar Noise has been.  Thanks to all that put it together, and to those that offer advice on the forums.

This is my first post in the forums, but I have been reading them for a few weeks now.  To the question:

I am a beginning guitar student (since March) and want to record a backing track to practice creating riffs with.  I'm looking for advice on what type of inexpensive equipment is available, and any advantages/disadvantages.

Record to tape?
Digital recording?
Computer software?

Is there anything with a feature that would let me record a chord progression and run it in a continuous loop?  I'm thinking that a tape recorder would force me to play continuously for 20 minutes to get a long enough track.  It would be too much to ask of me to record 20 minutes of flawless play.

As a guildeline, I was hoping to spend under $100.  Something with multi-track capability might be nice for future use.

Thanks again for the great site!

Bill

stock28

Re: Simple Recording Device?

Post by stock28 » December 5th, 2003, 2:02 pm

If you have Creative recorder, not Windows sound recorder, there is a very cheap solution. If you have a creative sound card, I think you will have it. The sound is far less than perfect but you can make backing tracks for yourself that will work. Get a simple desktop mic from Radio Shack for about $25.00 and plug it into the mic in on your computer. Record a backing track and loop it through any media player you may have. Again, don't expect CD quality sound, but it will certainly give you something to play along with.

forrok_star
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by forrok_star » December 5th, 2003, 3:48 pm

Not to long ago and before computers and DAT recorders.  Was with a double cassette deck and a small keyboad. Set the keyboard to play drums and you play guitar and record a rhythm track. After your done.

Move the recorded tape into the playback side and put a new tape in the record side. Then while the playback was playing the rhythm, you could record on the record side which would give you sound on sound. You'll end up with a tape with both rhythm, drums, and another guitar part.

With technology moving forward you can do all this right from a decktop. I use a small mixer with line outs to connect to the sound cards line in. This will give you a better sound than just plugging your guitar straight into the sound card (my opinion). Better Matched ins and outs from the mixer.

They can be bought for 25.00 on e-bay. (TOA D-4) is the one I use. it's older but the Quality and the fact it looks like a patchbay on the back. will give you many options for plugging into it.

As for software well there's many companies that offer that.  And what might work great for myself you my have trouble with, so I'm not going to recommned any particular brand. Others will know what is easier to work with.

Hope this helps or give you some ideas.

Joe

97reb
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by 97reb » December 5th, 2003, 6:22 pm

My suggestion is similar to Joe's.  If you have a stereo with inputs for video or anything else (called RCA lines), you can get a very inexpensive mixer to help you out.  Run your guitar to your amp and then from your amp's line out/ head phone out to the small mixer (with stereo RCA outs).  Then from your small mixer's stereo out plugs to your stereo with RCA inputs you can record.  

This does not however answer your problem of looping and with your relative beginner status not being able to play for 20 minutes, it might not be a great answer.  

If you do a search on google for Jam Tracks, you can download some mp3's of tracks to play along with.

Also, like Joe said - You can jam along to a keyboard.  You can get a really good refurbished Casio at Musiciansfriend.com for $99.  This would give you drums and keyboards to play along with using the "Auto Accompany" feature.

Bon Chance.
It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by hueseph » December 6th, 2003, 11:16 pm

For about $25 US you can get Magix music creator which allows you to record I think up to 64 tracks. It has some cool looping abilities that are available in more expensive programs like Acid and Abeltons LIVE. It comes with some loop samples but there are also tonnes of loops that you can download legally for free. Music Creator allows you to "stretch" a loop to the number of bars you need it to run and also has a beat slicer so you can adjust the tempo.  You can get a 5 schannel mini mixer for about $50 us or a usb audio buddy for about the same. Under $100 us and your in buisiness.

Ignar Hillström
Musically Insane

Post by Ignar Hillström » December 7th, 2003, 5:09 am

Winamp has a loop function. Record something, and use winamp to loop it. Simple as that.
Click here for FREE, limited one-time only offer!

fretfumbler

Post by fretfumbler » December 13th, 2003, 3:53 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm leaning toward Joe's advice and will run through a mixer into my computer.  That should take care of my immediate need, plus hopefully give me some flexibility in the future.  I'll just have to do some software research.

Any names of programs for me to consider.

Thanks again for the help.