This is what I plan for my home-studio

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
97reb
Guitarnoise Denizen

This is what I plan for my home-studio

Post by 97reb » November 10th, 2003, 5:00 pm

Hey, everybody.  I have been doing as much research as possible on the subject of home recording and I think this is the route I am going:

Computer recording with Propellerhead Reason 2.5, Behringer Eurorack UB1832FX - Pro mixer ,
Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio (usb and midi connection) - this is a new product,
M-Audio LX4 2.1 Expandable Surround Sound Monitoring System,
Not sure which mics I am going to get, but I already have a Sennheiser 815s and will probably get a Shure sm57 and sm58.

Okay, so what I want to know - does anyone have any suggestions as far as changing any of this?
The key thing I have been looking for is quality for the price.  This setup at this point is probably going to run me over $1100 plus some cables.  That is if I use my current computer and don't have one built by my brother, which I figure will run another $800 minimum.
It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: This is what I plan for my home-studio

Post by hueseph » November 10th, 2003, 10:31 pm

before you settle on Reason check out Fruity Loops. It supports VST Instruments and  effect plugins as well as Soundfonts and DXI plugins. The interface is much more natural and more configurable. It maintains many similar tone generators and appregiators. As a bonus, if you decide to upgrade to Cubase, it can be installed as a virtual native plugin. Behringer ub1832 might be overkill unless you plan on recording a band or you have a lot of outboard synths and effects. On that same note, how many ins and outs does the audio interface have?

Nick
Administrator

Post by Nick » November 11th, 2003, 6:40 am

Get yourself a copy of Computer Music magazine, besides being a good resource, you'd be amazed what you can get for free.
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare

97reb
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by 97reb » November 11th, 2003, 6:01 pm

I appreciate your response guys.  I thought I may need a mixing board with 10 inputs based on what I've read here and there.  The Lexicon Omega Desktop has 4 line lvl 1/4 inputs and 2 1/4 or XLR inputs  with phantom power pre-amp.  It has midi in and out and usb interface.  It also has a headphone out.  for more info musicians friend product number is 245505.  The Omega actually comes with some recording software, so I would probably see how that worked out before trying anything else.  I'll read more on the Fruity Loops, though.
I'll try to find the Computer Music mag, I got Home Recording the other day and I am finding it quite informative.
It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by hueseph » November 11th, 2003, 8:07 pm

Ok. I don't know what your knowledge level is so don't take any offense please. Just remember that the number of tracks that you can record at one time is limited to the number of inputs you have on the audio interface. 10 channels on the mixer is fine as long as you are ok with mixing channels down to 2 or 4 of the inputs that you have available for recording (the unit only supports 4 tracks of simultaneous recording). Seeing that the xlr inputs have preamps w/phantom power you could plug your mics in directly or thru the mixer. Behringer has good preamps and though Lexicon are a legend for their reverb effects I don't know about their preamps. I know nothing about ProTracks although I think Mackie bundles it with their hardware as well. Having those things in mind, unless you plan on recording live drums or more than 4 instruments or vocals at a time, you could realisticly eliminate the mixer and spend that money on some good mics.

97reb
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by 97reb » November 11th, 2003, 10:10 pm

At some point I would like to record me playing live drums when I get better at them.  So, in the meantime, I could pass by that $230 for a mixer and yes buy some good mics, a couple sm57's.  I have heard Lexicon has not been totally easy to work with as far as support goes for their products.  As far as I know, they are more into high end playback products, not recording products.  I feel good about this, though.  I emailed them Sunday and got a response Monday.  I can spend $770 or $350 to get to the next step.  I don't want to be cheap, but frugal.

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by hueseph » November 12th, 2003, 7:35 am

Start slow. You can do a good micing job on a drumset with 2 mics placed well. Lexicon is a "household name" in recording studios. There aren't many pro studios without a lexicon reverb unit.