recording with a mic

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
stock28

recording with a mic

Post by stock28 » November 10th, 2003, 11:50 am

Where do I plug in a mic to record using Creative recorder. I have several colored plugs on the sound card but not sure which one to use. None of them look like a mic plug. Thanks.

A-J

Re: recording with a mic

Post by A-J » November 10th, 2003, 1:21 pm

You'll need an adapter to bring the mic's 3/4 inch plug to the smaller size. I forget which colour it is, but it's the one to the right of the "out". Plug it into the line in and not the mic. The mic connections is for cheap "chatting" mics while the line in is for recording.

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by hueseph » November 10th, 2003, 4:51 pm

Also, you might want to invest in a small mixer. It gives you better control over gain and will sound 100 times better in the long run. Creative recorder limits you to 1minute of recording as well I think and the quality is substandard. Fortunately you can get some good freeware multitrack software.

http://www.rocketears-online.net/setup-cubasis.exe

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en ... 8%26sa%3DN

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en ... 8%26sa%3DN

stock28

Post by stock28 » November 10th, 2003, 5:33 pm

A-J, I did find the mic plug and got a cheap chat mic working. I really just wanted a way to record my playing so I could hear myself. The quality is ok, but not real good. I didn't know you could use a different kind of mic. Is the 3/4 inch plug the same size as would be on an amp? If so, I can get an adapter to convert that to the small size that will plug into my computer to use a real mic? And thanks hueseph, I'll also look into that if I get more serious about recording.

97reb
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by 97reb » November 10th, 2003, 8:06 pm

I think the 3/4 inch he was talking about is an XLR (or Low -Z) connection, which most guitar amps do not support.  Most guitar amps support the 1/4 inch or high-z.   Some Acoustic guitar amps have both.  Most mixers and PA's have both.  The XLR has either a three prong female or male connection.  Depending on what your goal is, a mixer is important,  the larger your expected output, the larger the mixer you should get.
It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

stock28

Post by stock28 » November 10th, 2003, 10:16 pm

Ok, guess I'm really confused over the whole thing. Do most mics come with the XLR type plug? Then I would need the adapter to plug into my computer? What is the purpose of the mixer and is it requiered or can the mic be plugged directly into the sound card? I was just interested in something simple to record with, but now I'm interested.

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by hueseph » November 12th, 2003, 12:50 am

your're looking for a 1/4" to 1/8" not 3/4" to 1/8". There is no such thing as a 3/4" mic plug, although xlr connectors may coincidentally be 3/4". Most "professional" mics come with xlr conectors. The mixer will bring the instrument level to line level depending that the mixer has an instrument level (direct insert on some boards) input. You could get away with just getting a Direct injection box (DI) but for the price you could probably get a small mixer with a built in DI.

A-J

Post by A-J » November 12th, 2003, 7:11 am

If I was wrong in quoting a 3/4, that's just bad memory. I mean the same connection you would use on an amp. You can get an adapter at Radio Shack to get it to the same size as walkman headphones jack. Just make sure it's mono.