Recording newbie...HELP!

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
Seth Rains

Recording newbie...HELP!

Post by Seth Rains » November 6th, 2003, 1:05 am

Hey guitar junkies,

I'm really new to PC recording and hope you guys can help. I just got a wickid deal on Sonar 2.0 but I'm not sure how to hook up my guitar to my PC.

I know I plug my guitar into my high or low gain, then do I go pre-amp out to the line-in on my soundcard? I have an Aureal MPU-401. Is this a good soundcard for recording?

Man, I feel like such a meatbag cause I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

forrok_star
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: Recording newbie...HELP!

Post by forrok_star » November 6th, 2003, 1:46 pm

People will tell you that you can plug your guitar straight into your sound card.
My Opinion: your sound card really can hand the high out from the guitar. if you want really great recording and great sound from your guitar, then I would recomend this route. I want my guitar to sound rocking just like it does and having the volume control barely turned up would not give me what I want.

The most flexible way to connect your gear to your PC is by using a mixer. Having a mixer will allow you to record more than one instrument, including microphones, into your PC at a time, depending on how many channels your mixer has. If you don't have a guitar amp, then you will need to go through an external mixer. Simply plug your guitar into any channel of your mixer and then run a cable from the left and right output channels of your mixer to the input of your computer's soundcard. Or using the headphone out of the amp will work. There are also pre-amps designed with matching in and outs. If you only want to record your guitar.

You may need special cables like male stereo RCA's to male 1/8" jack or 1/4" inch guitar plug to 1/8". Any of these cables and adapters can easily be found at any Radio Shack.

This is my opinin.

Joe

Seth Rains

Post by Seth Rains » November 6th, 2003, 9:51 pm

Thanks for the info Joe, it's appreciated. I do have a mixer so I'll see if I can hook it up to my PC.

forrok_star
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by forrok_star » November 6th, 2003, 11:48 pm

Your welcome. I'm glad you could half understood what I wrote. I had a case of jet lag yesterday by the time I got back and my brain was still in another time zone.

Yes, finding the right balance between the In's and outs to the sound card will make a great difference in the Quality of your recording.

Joe