..iijsound engineering terminology

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
maxwell

..iijsound engineering terminology

Post by maxwell » November 1st, 2003, 2:26 pm

Can anyone recommend a website with sound engineering terminology?  I use Quartz Audiomaster freeware.  The instructions/help menu are no help when I don't understand the definitions, and how the mixing board (any mixing board) is supposed to work.  Things like "EQ" "envelope" "invertor" "noise gate", and all the different effects. I can't even figure out how to adjust the balance of specific portions of the track.  '

I guess I basically want instruction that assumes I am completely ignorant, mainly because I am completely ignorant in this regard.
He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: ..iijsound engineering terminology

Post by hueseph » November 2nd, 2003, 1:48 pm

What exactly are you trying to do?. There is a slider at the bottom of the mixing console that says pan. this is usually centered but you can either pan it to the left or to the right.  Inverter inverts that is flips the other way/reverses/turns upside down. EQ stands for equalizer which is a tool that you use to equalize or balance the frequency output of a signal. envelope: A shape that changes as a function of time. The shape of a synthesizer's envelope is controlled by a set of rate (or time) and level parameters. The envelope is a control signal that can be applied to various aspects of a synth sound, such as pitch, filter cutoff frequency, and overall amplitude. Usually, each note has its own envelope(s). A noise gate is well... a gate which opens and closes to "let in" signals which surpass a level which you set. Ie: you hear a hum at -8 db when you play your guitar so you set your noise gate to "open" at -7 db so that any sound that is louder than -7db will be heard but sound   -8 db and qiuieter will be "kept out".

http://www.tagnet.org/digitalhymnal/en/ ... y_a-l.html

maxwell

Re: ..iijsound engineering terminology

Post by maxwell » November 2nd, 2003, 6:06 pm

Thanks!  This will at least allow me to ask semi-intelligent questions now.  I really appreciate it.
He not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan (It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding)