Just Checking

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
Stingray

Just Checking

Post by Stingray » October 30th, 2003, 1:47 am

Hi there,

I want to do some very simple recording of my acoustic guitar, mostly so I can listen to myself and so I can make up some backing tracks to experiment with improvising against.  I have been given an old microphone (It says "Electret Condenser Microphone" on the side) that a very talented musician friend of mine used to use and I have a computer that is more than capable.

Plugging the microphone directly into line in gives a barely audible sound, plugging into the microphone port is better, but still a long way off useful.  The volume settings and such are all up and even the microphone boost setting is on.  So assuming I have the correct sort of microphone, I need some sort of pre-amp right?

I see in the local music store they have some really simple and cheap mixing boards (4 channel I think).  Is the the right sort of hardware I need to give my mic signal that extra boost?  Also remember I'm currently unemployed...

Thanks in advance for any help.
Barry

Alan Green
Guitari Lama

Re: Just Checking

Post by Alan Green » October 30th, 2003, 2:06 am

Hi, Stingray,

What you might find better is to get a cheap four-track recorder, and put everything onto a tape. Then you can output from that to your PC through the line-in socket and the song is already mixed to a large degree.

Then you need to "Normalise" the sound to that's been recorded on the PC to somewhere between 50 and 100%, and you should find that your soundcard came with a disc full of wave editors that will allow you to do this. That will ramp up the recorded volume.

Hope this helps,

Alan :-)
"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger
"I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk

Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Stingray

Post by Stingray » October 30th, 2003, 9:44 pm

I did some more experimentation today, I can record a nice quiet track through the mic, and use some audio software to amplify it quite alot which is fine.  The problem is that amplifying it also amplifies the noise and while the guitar sounds nice, the hissing along with it does not.

If I were to amplify the sound before it reaches the computer (through whatever means), and then record it as is, that should avoid amplifying any noise generated by my sound card and give me a cleaner track right?

forrok_star
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by forrok_star » October 30th, 2003, 11:41 pm

One reason would be perhaps, Because the condenser microphone must have a continuous, stable DC voltage, it is common practice to supply that voltage from the sound mixing board. The voltage is applied via one of the microphone leads, typically 48 volts, and is commonly referred to as "phantom power".

I would recommend getting a small mixer or some type of pre-amp.

Just my thought.

joe

Stingray

Post by Stingray » October 31st, 2003, 12:30 am

The mic requires a battery inside it to run, does that not supply the power?

(Please note the newbie tag just under my name)

???

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by hueseph » October 31st, 2003, 7:46 pm

Check and make sure the battery is good. Check in windows. The little speaker icon on the bottom right hand corner. right click on it and select open voulme controls. Make sure your volume control is full up. Also ther may be a check box that says " boost mic signal" or something to that effect.