Hearing DirectX while you play? Please help :(

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
Jesse Newmark

Hearing DirectX while you play? Please help :(

Post by Jesse Newmark » September 30th, 2003, 10:18 am

Hi, I would really appreciate any help... I have been trying a bunch of software to  record my guitar on the computer, and I really want to be able to hear the DirectX effects on my guitar while I play (not just after I record and playback).

The only program that has let me do that is Sonar, by muting Line-In Output on the volume, and letting it come out as a Wave. I don't know why I can't figure out the others, but when I mute the Line-In Output, it still records, but I can't hear anything... and I would really like to because Sonar, for some reason, isn't recognizing that I have Midi (whereas the others do).

Does anyone know what's going on?

greybeard
Guitari Lama

Re: Hearing DirectX while you play? Please help :(

Post by greybeard » September 30th, 2003, 11:13 am

Do you have a PCi sound card or is it integrated on the mainboard?
Windows tends to allocate a Microsoft driver as standard, even though you have a driver especially for the sound card.

I don't know the program so I can only point you in the direction of the MIDI configuration. There is usually a drop down list which shows you all the available drivers. Try changing the driver.
What seems to be a common complaint with recording software is that the effects are not real time and only heard on playback.
I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Jesse Newmark

Post by Jesse Newmark » September 30th, 2003, 5:45 pm

Thanks for the reply... its a soundcard in my laptop so I think PCi, its SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio, and I have Microsoft Midi Mapper and Microsoft Wave Synth something or other... I am a little confused on the basics. To hear my guitar come through the recording program (such as Sonar, Anvil, Cakewalk Guitar etc.) as opposed to just the Output of my computers line-in, is that a midi thing? Because if I mute my line-in Output, I don't even hear my guitar on any program but Sonar... it would be nice if I could do that with the other programs for DirectX, and just because I don't understand the difference :)

hueseph
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by hueseph » September 30th, 2003, 11:57 pm

The reason you can hear it in sonar is because I'm assuming you are recording from wave as well as from line in. Double click the volume control (the little speaker in your taskbar at the bottom of the screen)select options/properties/record then select line and deselect wave make sure midi is selected as well.  In the program choose the mixer and select an effect.(there are always effects available with the software. It's standard) You may have to choose an auxiliary and make it active for that track. This differs depending on what program you are using. This is the preffered way to apply effects. Recording from wave and using the directx effects standard with windows will cause you a head ache in the long run, because you'll end up unintenionally "bouncing" everything you've recorded previously to your selected track. so the previous tracks will just get louder and louder and the part you intend to record will seem quieter in the mix. you have to choose your midi device in your options menu as well or I believe in sonar you can double click the track and set the options there from whether the track is audio or midi to setting sound fonts. If you need more help just ask.