What is the difference between a 32bit DAW and a 64bit?

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
play4theworld

What is the difference between a 32bit DAW and a 64bit?

Post by play4theworld » July 19th, 2010, 11:02 am

Its in the title :).

And yes, I do have a bunch of topics in a row but i also have alot of questions :P.

kingpatzer
Guitarnoise Addict

Re: What is the difference between a 32bit DAW and a 64bit?

Post by kingpatzer » July 19th, 2010, 2:53 pm

For a stand-alone recording system (not something running on a PC or Mac) it's pretty much an issue of price anymore -- unless you're really pushing the limits of the 32-bit systems out there.

For something running on non-dedicated hardware (a PC or a MAC) it's about fully using the hardware you have.

64 bit processors can handle more data per clock cycle of the chip-set. But really, it's gotten past silly anymore. Even if you're using MIDI to do a whole symphony, a mid-level 32 bit system will do the job, you just have to manage the work-flow.

The Beatles did the "White Album" with less horsepower than can be found on most cell phones.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

play4theworld

Post by play4theworld » July 19th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Im running a 64bit win7 OS does that make a difference on what software i should use?

kingpatzer
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by kingpatzer » July 21st, 2010, 6:41 am

play4theworld wrote:Im running a 64bit win7 OS does that make a difference on what software i should use?
Yes. Get 64-bit software when ever you have a choice. When you have existing hardware, you want t o maximize the capabilities of that hardware.
\
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST