Welcome to the forums!

getting guitar to line level?

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.

Moderators: Nick, The GN support team

Postby yeayeayea » October 7th, 2008, 8:08 am

i want to be able to record straight from my gutiar into my computer. i know the guitar has a low level output, what would boost my signal to line level? i am using jamrecorder so i do not want to use any usb interface.

thanks!
yeayeayea

Postby Laz » October 7th, 2008, 9:09 am

Most electric guitars have enough "level" but don't like plugging directly into a computer (it's an impedance thing). However, just about any pedal will do just fine as a pre-amp. A DI box would be the cleanest, but since I don't think you're looking for high fidelity, no reason to buy new.
Laz
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby mickjw » March 6th, 2012, 7:51 am

Hi,
I was interested in this post as I was thinking of using a keyboeard amp to mix drum machine & guitar. I notice the use of a DI box is suggested, but I thought that just converted to XLR (i.e. balanced low impedance)? I have a DI box with XLR output, but not knowing too much about such things, I was wondering, do I need a special XLR to 1/4" jack lead? or is there another kind of DI box with line level output?

Any info. would be much appreciated, thanks.

Mick
mickjw

Postby Moonrider » March 7th, 2012, 9:34 pm

yeayeayea wrote:i want to be able to record straight from my gutiar into my computer. i know the guitar has a low level output, what would boost my signal to line level? i am using jamrecorder so i do not want to use any usb interface.

thanks!

A DI box is the best way to handle this, along with appropriate 1/4" to 1/8" adapters. it's not so much signal level as impedance you need to match.

Plus, a good DI box is one of the handiest tools a working guitarist can have. Not only can it be a lifesaver in the studio, but can also be a handy thing to have playing live.. My 70's era DOD passive DI has seen thousands of hours of use and thousands of miles. It gets used at every single one of my gigs.
Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation
Moonrider
Guitarnoise Denizen