Need help buying a Tascam Portastudio from eBay

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.
morot

Need help buying a Tascam Portastudio from eBay

Post by morot » January 9th, 2006, 11:33 am

morot

Post by morot » January 9th, 2006, 12:40 pm

mikespe wrote:
Personally I wouldn't go with the PortaStudio...one of the Tascams with the built in hard drive seems much better and they start at $299 (US) at Musician's Friend. For your first auction I wouldn't bid on something expensive.

Also, consider using your computer to record. I can be much cheaper and more versital that these seperate recorders. If you want to share your files you'll have to transfer them to the computer anyway as a wav file then convert to mp3 or burn to a CD. It could save you a few steps.
I mostly want a tascam because I love oldschool technology anything, especially analog stuff. If I it turns out I don't like to use it for the acutal recording I could always use it as a mixer and plug the headphone output into my Line In on the soundcard.
And I also want to start disconnecting myself from my computer, be able to sit in the livingroom and record som stuff without being forced to use my PC all the time.

edit: on the topic of prices a new tascam costs about 3500kr (400$USD) in sweden and the most of the eBay ones seems to go for about 70$...