Welcome to the forums!

Recycled junk to make up my crappy home studio

Recording engineering discussions and questions. Also a great place to discuss software, plugins, and computer based recording/arranging.

Moderators: Nick, The GN support team

Postby TRGuitar » June 13th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Well, my 4 track is a paper weight. But ... it has a nice board so I drug it out of storage. Here is my incredibly cheap and crappy studio.

My old 4 track ... the $900 paper weight.

audacity ... free!

With all the amps I got I'm recording with this! Go figure?

Oh yeah ... made this with it tonight.

http://soundcloud.com/wickedfester/burning-for-you-cover

Comments? Note the weak attempt at the choral parts. Almost makes the lead vocal sound better ... almost. :oops:
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --
TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby rparker » July 2nd, 2012, 4:55 am

Does that 4-track have an interface into your PC, or did you have to mic it's output somehow?

TRGuitar wrote:Comments? Note the weak attempt at the choral parts. Almost makes the lead vocal sound better ... almost.

The recording sounds pretty good. The backing bit of music during the intro. It's what comes in at about 14-15 seconds. It's odd sounding on my laptop through headphones. I'm thinking that it might be this crazy soundcard, though. I'll try it on my tower when I shut down my DAW later. The only real thing I'd say is that your vocals sound too buried in the mix during the chorus section. (or pre-chorus?) Best example of what I'm saying is at about the :58 second mark.
Roy

"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin
rparker
Musically Insane

Postby TRGuitar » July 22nd, 2012, 11:37 am

Sorry Roy, I missed this. I run the monitor outs of the 4 track into my USB interface so in essence it plugs into the USB port of the computer. It is a way to make good use of the mixer. It is pretty good quality. It was ike a $900 unit when new. Too bad it is useless by todays standards for multitrack recording. Unless of course you want analog. It still works, you just need high quality casette tapes. I'm just using it for the board. Oh, and the funny sounds are me trying to harmonize and very badly i might add. :oops:
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --
TRGuitar
Guitarnoise Addict