Welcome to the forums!

9/44-46 Notes

The Sunday Songwriters club is a stretching exercise for your mind. Arpeggios for the brain cells, so to speak. After all, writing is like playing - to get better, you have to practice.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby John Sargent » August 28th, 2011, 10:57 am

I stopped using a notebook. I downloaded a free Voice Recorder app to my Droid phone. When an idea strikes me, usually while driving, I simply talk, sing or hum it into the phone.

This mornings song writing ideas were
1) Rewrite the fourth verse and compose an additional verse for my song "Eureka".
2) A song about a Illinois with the recurring use of the word "Flatland" (think Ray Hubbards "Snake Farm")
One line would be something like "I-l-l-i-n-o-i then add a silent S"
Being a Wisconsin native and rampant Packer fan, I't will have a bit about the Chicago Bears
3) Take a close look at Frank Zappa's song "Apostrophe" and see if it triggers any ideas.
Last edited by John Sargent on September 12th, 2011, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Sargent

Postby Nick » August 28th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Flatland...I like it, although it gives me more of a grapes of wrath feel.
Click below for all my guitarnoise articles and reviews

http://www.guitarnoise.com/author/nicktorres/

My songs (Some not suitable for minors)

http://www.soundclick.com/nfshakespeare
Nick
Administrator

Postby John Sargent » August 29th, 2011, 3:54 am

This morning
1) I started considering the poem "This Is Just To Say" by William Carlos Williams for adaptation to music. It is a very short poem but I suspect it may be copywrited. I wonder what kind of legal issues would be involved in something like this. I've adapted public domain poems before.
The poem is the one with a note where the author ate all the plums and they were delicious. I think it's a great look at communication in the age of sticky notes, sound bites, texting and tweeting.
John Sargent

Postby Chris C » August 29th, 2011, 3:28 pm

+1 to liking "Flatland".

It's also the title of an old book (which turns up in free online book collections) which is set in a two dimensional world. Flatland. Apparently it's partly a satire on some aspects of Victorian society. So maybe there's a possible angle - are other aspects of the place flat, such as the attitudes, the beer, the mood, the girls, the jokes, etc.....

Chris
Chris C
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby John Sargent » August 30th, 2011, 3:45 am

In the news this AM Honeyboy Edwards died. He was the last of the pre war bluesmen. Lots of ideas there.
John Sargent

Postby John Sargent » August 31st, 2011, 5:10 am

In the shower, where many of my songs are born, I started thinking about the storm devastation on the East Coast. I lived through a flood a few years ago and everytime I see flood reports on the news I have great empathy.
I have been wanting to write about flooding and devastation for awhile but don't want to talke about one specific flood eg: Noah, Katrina, Spring rains, the recent Hurricane etc. I want it to be more general.
I'm thinking the sound should be in the style of a sea shanty, think Stan Rogers.
Working title and end line?
"When Land Gets Taken By The Sea"
outline
1st verse: About God, Noah, rainbow story
God looked down and saw the wickedness of man. He choose Noah as the most righteous of his time. Noah built the Ark over the course of 120 years and collected the animals and things that would be saved from the deluge. The rainbow is a covenant that God vows to never send another flood to destroy the earth.

Chorus: The jealousy of the Sea
The sea remembers covering the earth, possessing and caressing the world with water. It is angry that the land was taken from it.

2nd verse: Storms, weather, randomness of fate
Rising tides, dark clouds, torrents, mudslides, tsunami's, erosion

3rd verse: Dams, dikes, sandbags and levees.
This verse describes some of the defenses that man has tried to hold back the water.

4th verse: A flood w destruction
The water washes away the works of man. The water is victorious in it's battle with the land/man.

5th verse Cleanup, survivors, eulogize the lost
Retreat of the water. Assessing the damage and destruction. Cleanup of dirt and debris. Mourning losses and rebuilding. The promise of the rainbow.
John Sargent

Postby Hobson » August 31st, 2011, 10:46 am

I like the fact that you're not just writing down lyrics. You're also creating a "to do" list that includes songs to listen to and work that you want to do on a song you've already started.

I think your idea for a song about floods will work well. But of course I would think that, since I recently wrote one about wildfires. You've already got a lot of possibilities for lyrics and you'll probably find that more ideas will come easily since you lived through a flood.
Renee
Hobson

Postby John Sargent » August 31st, 2011, 11:05 am

When I finished lunch I scooped up some Butter Brickle ice cream. The sound of "Butter Brickle" is so melodic that I looked it up. It's a trademark owned by the people that make the Heath Bar. I always thought that Butter Brickle was a generic flavor term like Butter Pecan, Chocolate or Vanilla.

Down my thoat the bits will tickle
Feels like a Butter Brickle day
John Sargent

Postby John Sargent » August 31st, 2011, 12:06 pm

When Land Gets Taken By the Sea - Looks like I have evicted Stan Rogers from the project though

1st (and 2nd) verse

When God looked down on the wicked ways of man
What did he see?
He saw evil, greed, lust and pride
He took no pity
He cried Noah Noah
Build an Ark for Me
Save the best, leave the rest
Cause, the land will be taken by the Sea
Oh the land will be taken by the Sea

It rained 40 days and 40 nights
Captive of the tide
Till the Ark came to rest on Ararat
Cargo safe inside
God said Noah Noah
The rainbow is made by Me
It's a covenant, an acknowledgment
The land won't be taken by the sea, No More
The land won't be taken by the sea

Chorus (probably more appropriately called Melody 2)
The Sea said:
Men all praise Your glorious prism
I curse the rainbow it's my prison
I'm flooded with jealousy
Let me saturate the ground
Man and all his works be drowned
And the land will be taken by the sea, by God
The land will be taken by the sea
John Sargent

Postby John Sargent » September 1st, 2011, 3:56 am

My hobby, working, will get in the way of my music today. Don't think I'll be near my puter much as I need to go to clients homes.
John Sargent

Postby John Sargent » September 6th, 2011, 3:45 am

It's been a long weekend. In the US we had a holiday on Monday. On Friday I played at an open mike, Saturday I helped set up an 8 stage music destival. We had two of the performers as house guests for the weekend. I led a song circle for an hour at the festival. Another open mike on Monday at the fest.
I am exhausted. I am also humbled. We had so many top class song writers, pickers , harp players and singers. When I consider my musical skills and my writings I feel totally inadequate. I hope this feeling will pass soon. My first inclination is to shove all my musical equipment in a closet.
Part of me wants to believe that I am terminally unique, but I know that even this feeling of not being good enough is common.
John Sargent

Postby jamestoffee » September 6th, 2011, 6:11 am

MrEWorm wrote: When I consider my musical skills and my writings I feel totally inadequate. I hope this feeling will pass soon. My first inclination is to shove all my musical equipment in a closet.
Part of me wants to believe that I am terminally unique, but I know that even this feeling of not being good enough is common.

+1 for the common feeling :roll: I got the same feeling last night listening to DMB on youtube and then today when my wife said, "See that is upbeat music (Jack Johnson playing)".....but I just remind myself, I can only be where I am at the moment; further than I was in the past, not where I'll be this time next year......but all I can do is be who I am in the present.....

.....and who I am isn't someone that can not JUST LISTEN to DMB and Jack Johnson....I still want to do more than just listen. I'm sure most of us do which is why we push on writing on..... :note2:

.....so keep it up, MrEWorm. If it feeds your soul, it's worth doing. :wink:

James
jamestoffee
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby John Sargent » September 6th, 2011, 6:20 am

jamestoffee wrote:+1 for the common feeling ..............so keep it up, MrEWorm. If it feeds your soul, it's worth doing.
James

Thanks for the words of encouragement. When Im riding a bicycle and someone goes zooming past me I need always remind myself that I'm the only one sitting in my saddle. I need to ride my own bike, not the other guys.
John Sargent

Postby Chris C » September 6th, 2011, 7:04 pm

jamestoffee wrote:
.....so keep it up, MrEWorm. If it feeds your soul, it's worth doing. :wink:

James

+ 1

I tell myself that music is a conversation not a competition, and as long as I get a few words in here and there and can stay chatting then it's all good.

You sound like you have a good musical life and contribute plenty. Mr EWorm. :)

Cheers,

Chris
Chris C
Guitarnoise Addict

Postby John Sargent » September 9th, 2011, 3:41 am

After all the activity of the weekend, not only was I discouraged but my back went out. I've been babying this thing all week. It even hurts to pick up the Uke. Nothing musical going on at all. Usually when this happens, it lays me up for 3-5 days.
John Sargent

Next