Beatles Competition

If you see a contest for a free guitar, strings, amp or anything else related, post a link here. Also if you have a favorite freebie app, like a tuner or metronome, post the download link here.
Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Beatles Competition

Post by Vic Lewis VL » July 24th, 2005, 11:55 am

Was in Liverpool last night (Saturday) to see Status Quo, who were fabulous as always....stayed overnight and called in the Cavern Pub today. While I was there, picked up a few goodies to give away...a Cavern Club t-shirt (size Large)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/ ... Quo038.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/ ... Quo039.jpg

and some plectrums and badges.....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/ ... Quo040.jpg

So, first one to answer some Beatles questions wins the t-shirt, five runners-up get a pick and a badge.....

Question one .... which song is George Martin talking about here?

"When they played this to me, first of all I thought it was great, but one thing struck as being very odd and that was because they sort of finished on this curious singingchord which was a major sixth with George doing the sixth and the others doing the third and fifth in the chord. It was just like a Glenn Miller arrangement."

Question two..... in February 1966, Peter and Gordon released a single called Woman, written by Paul McCartney under an assumed name...what was his alias?

Question three....George co-wrote the song "Badge" with Eric Clapton...how did the song get it's title? (Hint....The answer is in a guitarnoise forum, I know because I posted it....)

Question four.... In September 1963, George flew to Illinois to visit his sister, Louise...while he was there, he bought an album by James Ray which included a track George later recorded...but what was it called? (It was a big hit in the UK, don't know how it did elsewhere)

Question five.... What was significant about the 30th of January 1969?

If nobody gets all five after a week, the first one to get four wins the t-shirt.....

Good luck!....PM me with the answers....

:D :D :D

Vic.
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

jewtemplar

Post by jewtemplar » July 24th, 2005, 5:07 pm

Edit:

I'm stupid!!!!

just stopped to think about reasons to post the answers to a competition in public.
Sorry, Vic, all.
Last edited by jewtemplar on July 24th, 2005, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Sam

Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Post by Vic Lewis VL » July 24th, 2005, 5:27 pm

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Please don't post them there, where anyone can see them....send me a private message.....

Vic
"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

clideguitar

Questions!

Post by clideguitar » July 26th, 2005, 9:02 am

I just read most of this in the "beatles off the record" by Kieth Badham. I bought it because of a post I read about George and Eric Clapton talking about "Here comes the sun". I believe you posted that?

Bob Jessie

TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by TwistedLefty » July 30th, 2005, 6:13 pm

just checking to see if my entry was received?
#4491....

Vic Lewis VL
Albus Dumblechord

Post by Vic Lewis VL » August 18th, 2005, 2:43 am

I let this run for a while....

Gunslinger gets the shirt....beat Twisted Lefty to it by about an hour....

and an honourable mention to Jewtemplar, got 4 out of 5 ---- the one you missed, JT, was "She Loves You"....

answers were.....

1 - She Loves You
2 - Bernard Webb
3 - Eric was reading Gearge's work upside down, mis-read the word "Bridge" as "Badge"
4 - Got My Mind Set On You
5 - Last time the fab four played live...the "rooftop concert"

oh yeah....another honourable ention to Clideguitar, who sussed out exactly where I got the questions from....The Beatles - Off The Record by Keith Badham....the two quotes I posted were in the Easy Song Database as a bit of trivia to add to Wes Inman's tab of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"....

Vic

TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by TwistedLefty » August 18th, 2005, 2:55 am

Thanx for doing this Vic it was fun.

i had to rack my brain on #2 .
i knew i had heard the answer to that one b4 but just could not remember so i admit i googled that one :oops:

congrats gunslinger!, i can't blame time zones this time either. good job :wink:
#4491....

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger » August 18th, 2005, 6:44 am

Congrats yourself, since not everyone can be on at the same time. It was just luck that I happened to see it when I did. I knew that #2 was one of a couple of answers, I just really didn't remember which it was.

It was a lot of fun Vic, thanks!
Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

clideguitar

Post by clideguitar » August 18th, 2005, 11:27 am

"And if you don't know where you're going,
Any road'll take you there." ...George Harrison

I just heard this either last night or this morning? Is it in a song? Or in the book by "Kieth Badham". Is it in Anthology 3? It's gotta be in a song or he's says it before one of the records.

Man that's erie!!! Because I remember thinking, "What a great saying"

Bob Jessie

TwistedLefty
Guitarnoise Addict

Post by TwistedLefty » August 18th, 2005, 11:53 am

#4491....

smokindog
Musically Insane

Post by smokindog » August 18th, 2005, 2:39 pm

I didn't get any answers :oops: But i believe George also bought his 12 string Ric. on that 1963 trip to the U.S.A. --the dog