Jamplay.com Holiday Special

Welcome to the forums!

Recommendations?

Post your reviews of instructional material for guitar or bass. Reviews of books, your favorite bands latest CD, how to videos, live band performances and other instructional websites are all welcome.

Moderator: The GN support team

Postby CanAtom » November 19th, 2010, 2:52 pm

I'm new to this forum and I realize nobody responded to this subject in a while, but I was looking at a good book to learn music theory. I searched for guitar theory book and "Fretboard Theory" seemed the book with the best reviews, but from what I understand on this forum there is a lot of skeptical people about the "strange marketing" for this book.

Here is my situation, I've played for 4 years, I'm very dedicated (I play everyday and a lot on weekends), I believe I'm an advanced beginner, I can cover most pop songs and few very simple solos with a bit of practice, but I don't really understand the theory behind what I'm playing. I really feel I should learn some theory if I want to progress further. I can cover songs because I can read the tab and I practice it, but I want to learn how chords are constructed, why is everybody talking about major scales and pentatonic scales (I looked them up, but I don't get why I need to learn those). When I asked why we practice pentatonic scales, the answer I received was that it is a "pool of notes" rock guitar players used in their songs. :D Trust me, for a beginner like me it doesn't mean much.

I want a good book that can help me progress, I guess this forum is the best place to ask all of you that went through this what is the best book/tool to help me understand theory. Kingpatzer gave a few recommendations on books, is there any specific one that is better and simple enough for me.
CanAtom

Postby NEZTOK » November 25th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Planetalk, Rosetta Stone Of Guitar, Guitar Grid, The Guitar Grimoire, The Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising, THe Advancing Guitarist, Chord Chemistry, Mel Bay's Deluxe Position Studies, Dansm's Website.
NEZTOK