Welcome to the forums!

How to find people to play with

If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected.

Moderator: The GN support team

How do you find people to play with?

Friends I already knew play
14%
Work/School
29%
Found some people at a party
No votes
Internet ad
29%
Ad in musicshop
No votes
I pay people to play with me
14%
I'm hired to play with others
14%
Other/completley random
No votes

Total votes : 7

Postby Cat » April 10th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Niklas wrote: What I'm really intrested in is how people here find people though. I went on a bit of a rant in the beginning, but I'd like to hear your stories as well. I edited in a poll, but it's only interesting if you write something about it too.

Right now I'm working a a comprehensive project with pro co-production that have a very long and successful list of platinums. All of the musicians (me, too) have spent years doing sessions and getting paid for it. This time around, we are splitting up the copyrights equally so that's the pay bit for them. The singer, however, I found in a musicians' classified website. She get's $120 a day for a three hour session. $20 is for her fuel...$100 is for "her". She's got a little kid and NEEDS the money. This is her first paying dependable job singing beside spotty "Holiday Inn" gigs.

Underneath it all...you need good material, good facilities, and good talent. If these factors are bleedin' obvious to everyone...you'll attract and keep good people. You will always have "What the f*(&% am I paying you for?" up your sleeve. That always works. :wink:

Cat
"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"
Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby Niklas » April 10th, 2012, 11:04 pm

jwmartin wrote:...I was going to say, don't all Swedish people play death or black metal? :lol: Do you play bass or guitar? If you like the Black Keys/Jack White vibe, just go guitar and drums. But, you said your guitarist is leaving, so maybe that means you play bass (if so, fellow low-ender high five). I've often thought about my son (he plays drums as well as guitar and bass) and I forming a Misfits tribute band with just drums and bass. I would use fuzz and effects pedals to create a wall of sound with the bass.

Just put out feelers every where you possibly can. A lot of times music stores have bulletin boards where you can post. You're a student too, right? Put some flyers up around school.

I play guitar, but I'm going to buy a bass soon. I have a thread about it in the bass player discussion section. Your advice what to buy would be much appreciated!

The guitarist isn't a huge loss, he just plays basic chords and powerchords. It would actually be alot better if he played bass. The guitar/drummer thing was my intial thought when mailing with the drummer but he really wanted to bring his friend with him.

Cat, you're an australian, right? I'm half australian so I've been there a lot and compared to Sweden it is a lot easier to get friends and talk to strangers there. People here are very introverted and if you talk to a stranger they might call the police because they think you're crazy...

Hm, should have added the option "I get paid to play with others".

I think I'll live in basement for two years and write the best songs people ever heard. Than, surely it would be easier to find people to play with. But I like to write songs while jamming.
"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."
Niklas

Postby Cat » April 11th, 2012, 3:03 am

Hiya, Kid...nope NYC. But this is home. AND YOU ARE RIGHT about Aussies being friendly. They love Britts and Yanks...especially Yanks...going back to Mac Arthur's WW2 ties with Oz. (The Crown was more concerned with using Aussies to fight outside of here...and McA was against that.) So, yeah...I agree...friendly, for sure. Actually, the term "mateship" is very important here...very important.

Hope your basement's not too cold over there in Sverge...but you've got the right idea about everything considering your recent posts. You ain't due for a ride in a hearse for a long time...so keep learnin'. But, still, it's true...get good and you'll get called. Get real good and you'll get made, paid, and even laid! :roll:

Cat
"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"
Cat
Guitarnoise Denizen

Postby s1120 » April 11th, 2012, 4:17 am

NoteBoat wrote:The easiest way to find people to play with: when the weather is nice, play outside where people are.

You'll find that people who like guitar - which includes most guitarists ;) will gravitate to a guitarist. My first week at college, I just played outside... I got to know tons of people. Folks who play will may ask if they can try your guitar - let 'em! Folks who sing will join in. Play in the same spot for a couple of days and people will start to show up to jam with you.

You'll make new friends, and some will show you stuff... others you'll show stuff to. It's all good.

Thats a prety good idea! And sounds like a real nice time to spend some time!!
Paul B
s1120

Postby jwmartin » April 11th, 2012, 9:36 am

Niklas wrote:I play guitar, but I'm going to buy a bass soon. I have a thread about it in the bass player discussion section. Your advice what to buy would be much appreciated!

I didn't pay attention to the username on that thread. I dig the Thunderbird, but have only played them in the store. They are heavy and cumbersome though and difficult to play sitting down. I'm a Fender fan, myself. I have a Fender P-bass, an SX (low-price fender clone) 5 string Jazz, SX fretless Jazz, a Squier VM 70's Jazz and an Ibanez acoustic. My son has a clone of a Musicman Stingray that I really like too. The key is, you have to be happy with both the look and sound, so get what you like.
jwmartin
Guitarnoise Denizen

Previous