What key - Hate To Say I Told You So - by The Hives

Well who doesn't have a question about theory? Come on in and get them answered here. Beginning to advanced theory questions are welcome.
corbind
Guitarnoise Addict

What key - Hate To Say I Told You So - by The Hives

Post by corbind » October 15th, 2011, 11:00 am

Hate To Say I Told You So Tab -- by The Hives

What key is the song? It seems the progression is D C F Bb so I'd guess it would be 6-5-1-4 progression? The open A string played with open D string I'll guess it's a D5?

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/h/hives ... r8_tab.htm
"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

hbriem
Guitarnoise Denizen

Re: What key - Hate To Say I Told You So - by The Hives

Post by hbriem » October 18th, 2011, 6:35 am

It might be either a VI - V - I - IV progression in F major or a i - bVII - bIII - bVI progression in D minor. The former is far more likely and it doesn't sound like a minor key song.

A normal D chord has an A note in it (D-F#-A). A D5 is just D (1) and A(5), sometimes called a D power chord.

If it's played with A bass note you might call it a D/A or D5/A, but few would bother.
--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

Water123

Post by Water123 » February 22nd, 2012, 11:03 am

Thanks for the info. Was wondering that myself
To stay healthy whilst playing guitar, we recommend taking herbal supplements such as Rhodiola Capsules
Benefits of Licorice Buy Alfalfa
Buy Cayenne. The health benefits are first class.

hbriem
Guitarnoise Denizen

Post by hbriem » February 23rd, 2012, 12:12 am

Note that there's a bass player there, presumably playing a D. That means that the guitarist's A note, assuming he plays it, is not the lowest note in the mix, thus making it a plain old D.
--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com