Are modes redundant if.....

Well who doesn't have a question about theory? Come on in and get them answered here. Beginning to advanced theory questions are welcome.
almann1979
Guitarnoise Denizen

Are modes redundant if.....

Post by almann1979 » August 18th, 2011, 11:15 am

Does learning modes become redundant if you approach soloing in a "chordal" way instead of a "scalar" way. Just a thought that occurred to me earlier on.

If you are used to Playing over the chords, rather than in the key, do you ever need to think modally?

I am certainly not suggesting not learning modes, and even if you are playing over the chords i am sure it is important to know which scale to use if you want to put in a fast legato bit, or a descending run etc.

But in general, does playing over the chord, make understanding modes far less important?
"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

NoteBoat
Musically Insane

Re: Are modes redundant if.....

Post by NoteBoat » August 18th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Yes.

There are lots of ways to approach soloing. If you're thinking in terms of "this is a chord tone", then your solos will be centered around arpeggios; if you're thinking "this is a scale tone" you'll be centering in terms of scales/modes.

You want an awareness of both - what notes can be emphasized (because they're chord tones), and which ones are best left to subordinate roles (because they're non-harmonic scale tones). One analogy that springs to mind is to think of your solo as a piece of art: the use of chord tones is the drawing, the use of non-chord tones provides the colors. If your drawing is bad, your colors won't help; if your colors are bad, it'll seem strange, but recognizable.

Ultimately you want your ear to guide you as you create a melody. When you reach that stage, you'll be aware of the chord & scale tones, but they won't drive your decisions.
Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL